Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

planning and scheduling in oil and gas work

33 replies [Last post]
Wan Noorhayani
User offline. Last seen 11 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
hye guys.. ..normally,what activites could be the critical activites in oil and gas activites... especially in FPSO,Subsea works and etc...what kind of criteria that we assumed those activities are critical... i need details explaination..

Replies

vikram chintalapally
User offline. Last seen 9 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

pls send anyone i need sample project schedule of oil and gas project in ms project

thanks

vikram.civileng@gmail.com

vikram chintalapally
User offline. Last seen 9 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

pls send anyone i need sample project schedule of oil and gas project in ms project

thanks

vikram.civileng@gmail.com

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

It will depend on the your project scope; each project is different. Also, there are many types of projects, or subprojects in oil and gas. The installation of a HPPT, LPPT, Desalter and Dehydrator modules in a Gas Oil Separator plant may be in the critical path, butsimilarlythe critical path maybe the in the production manifold construction, the flare system, or the degassing modules. The process interphase building and switchear buildings may be on the critical path. The delivery of a long lead item may be in the critical path of a Prime Mechanical Facility in Brazil, but maybe local material to a similar plant in China.

Rafee Ahamed
User offline. Last seen 11 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

Hi

Dear Friends Oil and Gas

Could you please answer FPSO Modules names and weight of each Module

Nicole Bryan
User offline. Last seen 11 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

dear anning, 

if u have onshore and offshore, can u help email to my address brynic717@yahoo.com.ph

thank u.

Anning Sofi
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline

Nicole, what is  type of pipeline project?  Is it a A/G? U/G? Is it a cross country pipeline? Water Supply? Water Injection? Crude? Onshore? Offshore?

Nicole Bryan
User offline. Last seen 11 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Good day to all of u,

I just want to ask if someone cn help email me sample schedule for pipeline construction, im new to this kind of work,  i want to learn how it goes, i will really appreciate the help.. kindly email touse private message service thanks in advance

Ould Ali Karim
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all

Could anyone send me manhour rates and norms for TAR an ShutDowns in oil and gas sector

Kind regards

ouldk1@hotmail.com

Karim

Ould Ali Karim
User offline. Last seen 5 years 31 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all

Could anyone send me manhour rates and norms for TAR an ShutDowns in oil and gas sector

Kind regards

ouldk1@hotmail.com

Karim

mike hamad
User offline. Last seen 13 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all,  Can someone experienced shed some light on WBS for a complete Oil & Gas project ( refineries, pipe lines, off-shore structure?  I would appreciate some reference or a guide line.

Thanks

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
No you can’t, it’s not the Piping! It’s the people doing the works
Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
sorry colleagues, what I’m talking about is for oil n gas....don’t confuse with my little bit explanation....
Izam Zakaria
But please take note, if the piping section screw-up, it’s because poor procees input during engineering phase.

They must considere first the following below:-

Line Sizing
PFD
P&ID
H&MB

if u talking about construction wise then they must a have good sense about:-

Piping GA
Piping support detail and location plan
ISO shopdrawings

Next if you facing the problem with (piping) pre-commisioning phase,
For sure you have a problem with checksheet - work pack - and system.

I admited that if u can control the piping, absolutely u can control the whole project.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
I have not doubted that the critical path will always included piping works for the simple reason that the finish products derived from the oil and gas industry will be channel from raw materials to be processed into finish products including storage using pipes.

There will always be pipes and pipes: PIPES

Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi anoon,
i believe u already answer Charles doubts which piping is not the critical path for this project. Haha.

p.s anoon can i know u join in which company, which state in malaysia.
Fyi, i’m working at brunei now, maybe for1 to 2 years.
Anoon Iimos
Hi Raja,

No, I didn’t reach that level, maybe I intend to, but i believe i still haven’t got that "thing" yet (or will never come to me - but who knows? the world is round). I think Wan is just asking if what is the most critical activity or activities in oil and gas?

I may have not enough experience in oil and gas, but I believe that there’s not much difference (or no difference at all) compared to other types of works i.e. buildings when it comes to "Scheduling"; thus Piping works may not be the most critical at all. The thing is, Oil and Gas will always involved piping, and that’s the mainstream, so whether or not your activies are critical, it all boils down to Piping.

by the way, i’m still in KL.

regards
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
anoon,

i dont know what u mean by that... what i understand u are talking about strategy and feasibility study, if i’m not mistaken...is that what u mean...
wow, u really got at that level planning, its very interesting.
however, this ladies planning is not up to that level its enough with mr.izam explanation, i agreed with him.
Anoon Iimos
izam,

Engineering is not really the start of the sequence, it is a part of the last phase. The works will always start on Planning, sourcing, commercial aspects, political aspects etc.
Izam Zakaria
Critical path - The sequence of activities through a project network from start to finish, the sum of whose
durations determines the overall project duration. There may be more than one critical path depending on
workflow logic. A delay to progress of any activity on the critical path will, without acceleration or resequencing,
cause the overall project duration to be extended, and is therefore referred to as a ‘critical delay.
Critical path analysis (CPA) and critical path method (CPM) - The critical path analysis or method is the process
of deducing the critical activities in a programme by tracing the logical sequence of tasks that directly affect the
date of project completion...

The main sequence for oil n gas are Engineering - Procurement - Construction - Installation & Commisionig....to define critcal activities u need to analyse all these phase...

Cheers
Zam
SBM Planning Engineer
Izam Zakaria
wan norhani if u need my kind assistance then I can be reached via aizam.zakaria@sbmoffshore.com
frankly speaking your queries are too basic for me.
Wan Noorhayani
sorry guys... i think i’ve made ppl confused on my statement....im not talking abbout oil and gas work.... actually what im trying to say is in building construction... normallly we will determine the crtical path first... then we will monitoring all the activites from it..and plus in building construction... weather are the most important character... because all the works are really depend on the wheater... so for that reason... i come out with this idea... im not sure what method that you guys using in oil and gas.... but rite now... im getting the idea... nnyway thanks... bottom line is i juz want to know the crtitical activites in oil and gas... and as you mention before that piping is the most crtical work .. isnt??
Charleston-Joseph...
Hello Wan,

"perhaps other activities for instance plastering on so on cud also be critical activites depends on certain circumstances( weather.. etc..).. my point here is ... its depend on how u define the critical activiites..."

I think you are lost. Present this opinion of your in a meeting with client and you will get a blank stare. If you are able to prove this idea that plastering cud also be critical in oil and gas, then, one thing for sure there’s manipulation of events, P3 schedule to prove that plastering cud also be critical activities.

To play safe in a meeting whenever a question ask regarding critical activities in Oil and Gas: straight away shoot: PIPING WORKS INCLUDING PIPE SUPPORT.

Let the other guys prove that this statement is not correct.

cheers,

charlie

Wan Noorhayani
thanks guys... i really appreciated all ur comments.. as for me.. both of u r rite... when it comes to the construction work yess... i have to agreed the utilites cud be the critical activites.. but actualy.. it depends... on how did you manage it.. perhaps other activities for instance plastering on so on cud also be critical activites depends on certain circumstances( weather.. etc..).. my point here is ... its depend on how u define the critical activiites... and for me there r 2 ways 2 define it... one is whichever having the longest path and can drive delay on the project... and the other one is the constraint that we put in... (plz correct me if it is wrong)...

And as for you guys who’ve been involving in this field (oil & Gas) and have more experrienced.. im sure you know better then me.....i just need some advise from you guys... im sure any of you can define which activites cud be criticaland also what criteria and you guys take in order to treat it as a critical activites..
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Henk,
I do think charlie is right, The predecessor of abovehead instrument, electrical is piping. Another thing piping couldn’t be easy to be modified or divert like tray, It more complicated if u try to divert piping like cable.
regards
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Charlie

I can’t completely agree with this.
I’ve done a lot of planning for construction and ofcourse piping is very important (i’m also a piping guy) but the problem is always the piping that goes through all area (utilities for instant) and instrument air specific.
Also the multicores, and instrumentioncable that goes from the area towards the control building are always a problem because you need all cable trays in all area before you can start with puling the cable’s

Kind Regards

Henk
Charleston-Joseph...
Hi Wan,

I spent some time in the oil ang gas. I come to know welding works norms dia - inch.

In my confusion, straight away I know the critical activities are the piping works.

Columns, vessels, reactors, equipments (generators, control panel/SCADA,) etc., you can design, manufacture from outside the construction area, hence you can control the productivity of your resources. The duration for the installation of these columns, equipments will take few days.

However in piping works, including pipe supports, the bulk of installation activities will be at site. The resources varies from project site to another project sites. The number of manhours will be greratest compare to other trade (electrical, instrumentation, civil, etc.) And this makes piping works critical.

My advice in the event your programme will show piping works manhour less than the other trade ( electrical, instrumentation, civil, etc.,) straight away review your plans.

IMHO,

Charlie
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Wan,

In the first place every activity could become critical at some point but that is not the answer you’re looking for.
What’s is always critical for construction is utilities, because thats what you need for commissionning of cource you have a lot of other stuf (lond delivery items etc.) but you wil see at the end utilities are not ready so (pre-) commissioning can not start as scheduled.

Hope you can do somthing with this answer

Kind Regards

Henk
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi Wan, any vacancies available at your company.

Nicolas Berger
User offline. Last seen 11 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
You have to use what has been already done by your predecessors : i.e. bidding schedule.

To built your WBS, if you don’t have any idea, first read the contract to understand socpe of work, organize meeting with Engineering, Procurement, Construction & Installation Managers.
But I’m very surprised that you have to start from nothing, that’s almost impossible !
Are you working alone ?
Ask the Client, he’s also here to help you...
But you definitely have to find the bidding schedule : that will be the guideline to understand the Project and scope of work to perform...
Wan Noorhayani
gud.... im sure you can give me a guideline in this case.. i am very appreciate if you cud give me an example of you project...how do manage to create the baseline of the project.. do you have a 3month alook ahead schedule..r u using p3??.. previously i was a scheduler for building construction... currently... im involving in subsea project..’ll appreciate if anyone can give me any idea how to produce the WBS in subsea work / fpso....and create the program into p3 or/ mp...What shud i focus on in monitoring those kind of works... guys........ plz really need your input.........
Nicolas Berger
I’m currently in charge of the schedule of an FPSO subsea part...it’s big (950M US$)and almost everything is subcontracted.
The most part is the consolidate schedules, progress from them.
But, you should start from Bidding schedule basically just to have an idea.
Read the contract to know what is the scope of work, who will perform it, etc...

Identify interfaces and the most important part of your job will be organization for interfaces...
Wan Noorhayani
maybe my question wasnt clear enough.. what im trying to know is... in each project.. there are some activities which will be impact the completion date of the project.. either delay or via versa(rarely happens).. and normally we have been using CPM to monitoring all those things rite??...actually im not familiar with those activites involved in oil & Gas work... perhaps anyone can give any example for create the baseline for subsea work or FPSO..how to planning,control & scheduling it...
Nicolas Berger
There is absolutely no rule for this !
Depends on the contract, T’s & C’s, etc...

Most of the time it is based on Engineering documents that must be issued asap to be able to get Puchase orders at the earliest dates for special equipments or reservation of slot for fabrication of spools, etc...