Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

A Measurable Plan

6 replies [Last post]
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
1. What is a measurable plan? Is it a level 1, 2, 3 & so on program?

2. Is it a must for Baseline Plans to be measurable?

3. What if you started with a level 1 program as baseline? Are you going to change baselines as soon as you get it measurable?

4. And what is the most accurate unit of measure to be used when integrating plan levels (i.e. level 1,2,3,4...)in order to get % progress? (considering consistency)

thanks

Replies

Edgar Ariete
Please consider working on a baseline (you want it measurable from the start). You got incomplete data (concept).

As you go along the line, you will be adding details (levels). Is there a way to maintain the weightings for a certain level while adding details?
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Planning is not a wild guess, but estimating can be. When the scope is planned at a high level, there is more room for error.

It is possible (and common in my experience) for the detailed (measurable) plan to reflect a different projection than the preliminary high level planning.Can’t you do it from the start (concept) rolling down to details? Or is it always details first?Sure you can use a top down approach. However, I believe this leads to compromises that may or may not be realistic. I prefer to plan/estimate the tasks for the detail (measureable) level schedule independently of any pre-existing high level (concept) schedule.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems
Edgar Ariete
I don’t understand your first paragraph. Are you saying that planning is just a wild guess? (until now?)

I supposed you are working on integration (electronically). Can’t you do it from the start (concept) rolling down to details? Or is it always details first?
Bernard Ertl
I believe it is a big mistake to try and plan work to fit expectations. This is one reason that we split the planning and scheduling into separate functions in our ATC Professional system (ie. you don’t schedule the tasks as you define/estimate them).

IMO, the detailed, measurable schedule should be planned and estimated independently of any high level commitments. Only then do you have a basis for understanding if the high level commitment is reasonable, or as mentioned in answer to question #3 previously, decisions need to be made.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems
Edgar Ariete
Yes, you can always roll it up (if you started from the highest level), but what if you started from level one (1) that is not measurable?

I mean rolling to the smallest possible detail. Taking into consideration that details come in not at the same time.
Bernard Ertl
1. What is a measurable plan?

IMO, a measurable plan is one where tasks are clearly defined, and measurable. This means that anyone should be able to determine the progress/status for each task as defined.

2. Is it a must for Baseline Plans to be measurable?

For upper management to see the big picture, no. For detailed analysis against a measurable plan, yes.

3. What if you started with a level 1 program as baseline? Are you going to change baselines as soon as you get it measurable?

If you commit to a baseline before planning it effectively, and the later plans show it to be unfeasible, management will need to make a decision (modify scope or accept change to baseline) or failure may be predetermined.

4. And what is the most accurate unit of measure to be used when integrating plan levels (i.e. level 1,2,3,4...)in order to get % progress? (considering consistency)

What do you mean by "integrating plan levels"? Shouldn’t all levels be based off of the same schedule (just rolled up/summarized appropriately)?

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems