Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rating/reviewing software

22 replies [Last post]
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
I saw a post at allpm.com announcing a new web site with a ratings/review engine for pm books and software. It looks like it is just getting off the ground, but it could be a useful resource if it takes off:

www.pmkb.com

Bernard Ertl
eTaskMaker Project Planning Software

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Pmkb,

I am not a salesman, but a buyer, do not get this wrong. I need planning software that can satisfy my needs and do it the way I want.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi guys,

I agree with the statistics.

That is why PP got thread "Improving Planning Planet".

Cheers,

Charlie
pmkb .
User offline. Last seen 12 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Careful Philip... Someone may accuse you of being a salesman... :p

Stacy
Participate at the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Philip Jonker
Hi Bernard,

Obviousely, a lack of interest, and we need to do some marketing
Bernard Ertl
Roughly 45% of all posts to the PP forums belong to the 20 most active posters. I’d guess that 5% active participation is about right. Only the PP Admin has access to the database to know for sure.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems
Philip Jonker
Sorry I am replying to my own posting, I find it difficult to believe that out of the 10000 members, there is only about 5% who participate, how about sending the rest a wake-up call
Philip Jonker
Hi Stacy,

I find it difficult to believe that with 10 000 planners plus aaround nobody has experience of linear plus, or does not want to share it. I have been trying out Tilos, and it interfaces well with P3, but it has a problem with V5, and I believe linear plus has this sorted. I want to know if there is people who have experience of using the program.

Regards

Philip
pmkb .
The point is I do not want a salesman’s perspective, but a users perspective.

Philip,

That is the whole point. The PMKB site is a platform (much like the PP) for peer discussion and sharing of information. The review engine is driven by the membership. Ie. every member can post their own reviews and opinions of any book or tool in the database.

I will add Linear Plus to the review engine database. Hopefully those members/guests who visit the PMKB and are familiar with this tool will be encouraged to share their experience with it for your (and others) benefit.

IMO, this is a two way street though. The more reviews that PP members (everyone reading this post) contribute for P3, MSP, Open Plan, PowerProject, Spider Project, etc., the more incentive others will have to post reviews for other systems - similar to the way that an active forum such as the PP encourages new visitors to join and participate.

Stacy
Participate at the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Philip Jonker
Pmkb,

As for me ranting about P3ec, you are missing the [deleted by Moderator]. I am lookng for current users of linear plus, who can help me with advice on what it can do, and it’s capabilities. I am currently working in Project Manager V5, and need a tool to do linee of balance or time vs chaineage, and need advice on the best software available.

If you can help me, I will be thankful and listen.
What I want to know, is how the interfaces work with Primavera Project manager V5, and is there a better package? I do not want to spend my life importing and exporting. Can I balance "cut to fill" on it?

The point is I do not want a salesman"s perspective, but a users perspective. However, any constructive information you can give me will be welcome.

Regards
Philip
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry Bernard, I thought you were younger. I was wrong, good one you got there.

I got no experience in turnarounds but had a chance to walk around for about 15 years now.

I wish I am a moderator too.
(this is where freedom lies I supposed)

edgar
Bernard Ertl
That is a recent photo of me (~1 year old). I started (part time) planning and scheduling turnarounds when I was 16 years old (~20 years ago).

I wonder how many of the PP members would be considered "hiding" if they had the option to upload photos/avatars. Most people don’t bother with those details (it’s not required).

BTW, avatars are used on many forums to allow members to add some personality to their posts.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Stacy (pmkb),

Pardon me but it seems people in your site are hiding, I even saw a picture of Bernard (taken 40 years ago) & I’m not sure if it’s really his. It looks more like an older brad pitt (at the time).

And what’s Batman doing in a project management forum?
pmkb .
Philip, not even Deep Thought could provide a real answer in the absense of a real question. The PMKB forum is open for everyone (including you) to ask questions or provide answers.

I’m building a platform to make book and tool evaluations (both pros and cons) easy and accessible because I see a need for it. Perhaps you might have benefitted yourself had my site launched more than just 3 months ago and the review engine contain some information on Line of Balance systems such as "Linear Plus".

I recall your posts ranting about the move to P3e because you had so much time and income potential vested in P3. Yet, you bit the bullet and started learning P3e anyway. IIRC, you decided it wasn’t so bad. Perhaps all you really needed to do was just give it a chance.

Stacy
Participate in the Project Management Knowledge Base!
Philip Jonker
You are just another salesman, with no real answers
pmkb .
In just a few months, the PMKB forums has attracted over a hundred members, many who are also members here at the Planning Planet, and is growing steadily.

Thank you everyone who decided to join the PMKB forums and contribute software and book reviews.

The review engine has receieved quite some interest from various software vendors. If there are any issues which you would like to see addressed with any given tool, posting your comments in a review will get their attention.

Stacy
pmkb .
Hi Philip, I did not understand your last post. Are you implying that I’m trying to rip a client of money???

The PMKB is free, just like the Planning Planet. I understand that people like to stick with what’s familiar. That doesn’t mean that new things aren’t worth exploring.

The Planning Planet is a great place with a vibrant membership. I hope one day that the PMKB may be as vibrant and complement the PP as the PMKB has a few features to offer members that the PP does not (and vice versa).

I’m please to report that the PMKB membership is growing with some experienced and knowledgeable people.

Stacy
Philip Jonker
Hi pkmb,

My sympathies lie with the two previous postees. Maybe planners see the problem from another angle, ie simplistic, how do we get the job done on time, rather than how can we rip the client for some more money
pmkb .
Hi folks,

I’m sorry to hear that the site seems too complicated for you. We are using the best commercial forum software that we could find with just about every feature that I’ve seen PP members requesting in the Improving PP forum.

Much like the PP, the PMKB forum will become what the members make of it. I invite all PP members to participate.

The project management software and book review engine already has a few member reviews and could become a very handy resource for everyone if more people are willing to share their opinions and experiences.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi pmkb,

I share the same opinion as Raja.

We do are busy with our work.

I wish to visit the site someday and hopefully it will be similar to PP, relax, freedom, sometimes confrontational but most of the time camaraderie and friendship with planners around the world.

Cheers,

Charlie
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
Hi PMKB,
This is my opinion, i have seen it, it seems complicated,
I might lost in there, To me it is enough with problem at work.I prefer PP...more relaxing and enjoy. Anyow it is goodwork... Maybe i can find somthing overthere, if it is not here.. what i mean information.
Good Work PMKB.
pmkb .
Hi, I’m the webmaster/admin for the Project Management Knowledge Base. You are all welcome to join the site and participate. The more people that contribute ratings and reviews, the better the system becomes at offering a picture of how planners really see different books and software.

The site also includes a forum similar to this one (though not as busy - it’s just getting started!) that allows members to post file attachments to messages. Please stop by and let me know what you think.
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the info.

Cheers!