Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Calculating Average Height of the Road Section

5 replies [Last post]
Nitin Naik
User offline. Last seen 7 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

I would like to know the formula to calculate the average road height between the two sections

thanks
Nitin

Replies

Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Navid,

It’s correct what you said but you need to generalize it into a scientific formula: if you have x meter of road and difference in height is between a and b (a
Regards,
J. Daniel
Naveed Tariq, PE,...
User offline. Last seen 14 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Its simple,

If there is major variation in height at different points, take height after every meter, add these heights and divide by 50.

Cheers
Nitin Naik
User offline. Last seen 7 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry Guys,

I was not very clear in my previous message regarding road height calculations.

I will explain you by giving a small example.

Lets say I have 50 m road which varies in height by -1m to 5 m. How can I calculate the average height of the road section?

Please send me some notes if you have on any formulas you used in such excercise

thanks
Jaco Stadler
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Maybe I am missing Something but

(Height Section 1 + Height Section 2) / 2

= Average Height over two Sections
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
I seem to remember a thing called Simpson’s Rule, it is the average between any number of sections.