Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Intriguing Picture / Logo

2 replies [Last post]
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners / Schedulers,

I have just taken a look at the Rosmartin website that Stuart Ness links to when he signs off his postings. I am very intrigued to find out what is the picture that Rosmartin uses on its website. www.rosmartin.com

Come on Stuart, enlighten us. Why such a classic picture on a construction consultancy website?

Regards,

Gary France
Chairman
The Planning Engineers Organisation

Replies

Stuart Ness
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Gee, Shucks, guys! (blush! blush!)
Here I am trying to hide my classical intellectual leanings, and you “out” me!!

I could say that the picture was from an etching that I sketched one lunchtime, but the truth is that it is taken from a painting “The Battles of the Amazons” by Peter Paul Rubens, the Flemish artist (though he was born in Germany) of the 16th/17th Centuries. The painting can be seen at : http://www.abcgallery.com/R/rubens/rubens18.html

I believe it currently hangs in a museum in Munich.

The Rubens’ painting was originally chosen as Rosmartin Associates’ logo by our graphic designer more than 10 years ago, and it is on our brochure, stationary, business cards etc.
Personally I like to call it “Bridge Over Troubled Waters” [no, I am not a Simon & Garfunkel fan!!], since it depicts two parties (of women, in fact) fighting over a bridge, and as Claims Consultants, we often find ourselves trying to resolve difficult arguments and struggles!! We try to resolve disputes and act as "bridge" between the parties. Of course, there are many analogies that can be made (like "cutting up" the opposition!; "spearing" an argument!; fighting one’s corner!)

I understand that the Amazons hated men and kept them as slaves for hard work, and to preserve their race they killed all their newly born infant males and left only girls!! ( I think my graphic designer – who is a woman – was trying to tell me something!!)

Very few people have asked about the origin of Rosmartin’s logo, except that about two years ago I was giving a Claims Management Seminar in the town of Siegen in Germany. When the Rosmartin logo came up on the screen, one of the participants recognised it as coming from Rubens’ “Battle of the Amazons”; it turns out that the participant was an expert on Rubens and that Rubens was born in the town of Siegen!

Just to show that Claims Consultants can be arty-farty!! ;-)

Cheers,

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
I’ve seen this picture longtime back in his website. The picture shows that how they are managing projects just like managing the things in a conflict.