Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planners, Programmers or Schedulers?

3 replies [Last post]
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all,

Can anybody help me to understand the differences between Planners, Programmers and Schedulers?

I call myself a Planning Engineer, in that I determine how long a construction project should take, what are the major stages, what the major milestones etc. In other words I plan the project as a whole, including design, procurement and construction.

I would say that a programmer then puts the detail on that, looking at individual activities, working out the precise sequence and timing of each.

I think a scheduler is the same thing as a programmer, this term scheduler mainly being used in the USA.

Am I right? What do you think these different terms mean? What do they mean in your industry and location?

Gary France

Replies

Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
I think to understand difference between Planners and schedulers we should pass through the basic definitions.
Plan- This indicate to understand the project or goal to be achieved and what are the things to be done to get desired result with in the target time. Then make a frame for all tasks in best suiatble and logical sequence. So that is the work of Planners.
Schedule-Allocate the available/required (with best economy) resource to get the planned result and monitor & evaluate the actuals with time by time. This is the Scheduler. And for Programmer I agree with Gary that this is the different terminology being used by the Industries in different region.
I feel in present scenarios of work culture one person expected to do works as Planner, Scheduler and programmer of course it depends upon the work load & type of the organisation.
Raj
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I think that Planner is mainly responsible to estimate the project. On the basis of this estimation he develop different plans of a project which is best suited for execution in view of available resources and costs. His duties are not limited to planning he may involve in preparing Tenders, Rate analysis etc.

Whereas a Scheduler is responsible for controlling and monitoring the project as well as to prepare monthly progress reports, cash low and Trend Analysis etc.

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
In my experience within the petrochem industry, almost everywhere, the roles of maintenance planning and scheduling are combined and assigned to one individual (or a group). I can only remember one company where the scheduling function was dedicated to a single individual who was not responsible for the estimating/planning.

Capital projects are usually planned and scheduled by the same individual as well (and sometimes that is the engineer and not a dedicated planner/scheduler).

For my part, I view the planning function as organizing, estimating and preparing for a project. This can include preparing BOMs, bid packages, scope estimates/plans, etc. IMO, the scheduling function encompasses critical path scheduling of the scope and progress updating/analysis.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - ATC Professional Shutdown / Turnaround Management System