Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Float

12 replies [Last post]
Anil Gupta
User offline. Last seen 16 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All
I am facing a unique problem .Looking for advise.
I have developed a EPC schedule for one construction porject having total duaration of 540 days.
Few engineering and construction activities i am getting float of around 200 days. I feel relationships are justified.
E.g i have submittal for water heater which is showing float of 200 days bacause ..delivery is loacal and product is needed on site at the last only.But all submittals have to be made within 30% of project duration.Thats why high float coming..and many more activities like this.
My problem is our consultant wants these flaots to be reduced (By any means).I don’t want to reduce these floats by giving unjust relationships as it may jeopardise our interests at later stage..Please advise what could be best way out of it.Also FS with lag is not allowed to be used..
Regards
Anil

Replies

Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
If You have to submit the programme to a Consultant 99% will not accept to have constrain in early, late or mandatory start or finish in trhe activities as well as to constrain the total float or the free one. (Previous experience in EPC contracts).

One suggest check the logic between through the engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning and the hand over, if look like not links are missing it could also be

If You want to send me the schedule to give a look, there is no problem.
Daryl Walcroft
User offline. Last seen 13 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Alternatively, if you’re using Primavera, set a Float Constraint under the Constraints section for the last activity.

However, I agree with the other posts - this is manipulating the logic. Get into a dispute and consultants will tear this apart.
Dinesh Kumar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Anil,

There are two ways of doing it,
1. Arrange the activities in groups and set a milestone at the end of each group completion and set latest finish constraint to the milestone with the float you need.
(end activitity date + the float you require).
2. perform a global change by filtering activities total float above lets say 60 days and apply latest finish constraints to those activities then all these activities will only have maximum total float of 60.

I hope your problem solved.

Thanks & regards

Dinesh
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Pay attention, if You are running a multi calendar programme, the critical activities can seat not on the critical path but on the longest one.
Alan Davison
User offline. Last seen 13 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Anil I would suggest that what is embarrasing is the displaying of these float values in reports etc .

I suggest you do not display float to anyone on a general basis . It is important that the float is known by the managers to allow them to be aware of adverse trends.

In addition you may need to level the procurement activities to establish a more realistic schedule which will reduce the float available .

It is quite common to have high float values available for some Engineering and Procurement activities as long as you are monitoring ROS dates with FIS dates then can demonstrate that you are in control of the schedule.

cheers

Allan D
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
“More activities to use up the float?” This is not a science fiction book that you are writing. It either takes time or it does not. The float is what it is. In reality, things take exactly as long as they do. You do not go looking for some way to use up the float. Leave the fiction for your expense account report.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
I prefer induce more activities to fill up the float. Like prepare order, place order, manufacturing, delivery, logistic arrangement, etc.
More detail, less float and form base for monitoring.
Ronald Winter
If you hire a Consultant to work for you as an Inspector, you may end up submitting things to him or her. I imagine that this is similar. Once hired, us Consultants are hard to ignore.
APMG Tester2
User offline. Last seen 4 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hello,

I do not understand how the Consultant works for Mr Anil if he has to submit his programme to the Consultant ?

How is he allowed to ignore him ? I know some I would like to ignore, but they review my programs!

Chris
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
There are no guidelines for maximum Total Float because Total Float is a product of the logical analysis, not an input.

Every submittal in your schedule should be followed by a review period (duration as specified in your specifications,) followed by a procurement / manufacture / delivery time (if the item is not available off-the-shelf locally.) Finally, this procurement (or the review activity if no procurement is necessary) should logically tie into the schedule where the item is to be installed or the procedure is to be used.

Run the CPM and the Total Float is what it is. No crying about the result if you agree on the inputs. Good luck!

Ron Winter.
Anil Gupta
User offline. Last seen 16 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Well said Ronald , you are absolutely right in contractual terms But dear i don’t want to enter into conflicts at this stage of project. He has already rejected my submittal twice and now i have to satisfy him without risking our companies interest...Can you suggest some means to reslove this issue.
Rgds
Anil Gupta
Ronald Winter
There is something very special about Consultants that you seemed to have overlooked; you do not work for them, they work for you. Ignore him.