Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time Chainage Software

5 replies [Last post]
Peter Clarke
User offline. Last seen 20 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
For linear projects with repetative tasks (eg roads, sewers, rail, tunnels, bridges etc), time chainage charts are a better way of showing a plan and actual progress than bar charts.

I would like to use this thread to discuss the use of time chainage charts and what features people would like to see on a software package. Existing commercial time chainage software is very limited so I have written my own. It is very good but will it do what you want? Lets find out!

As a starter, my software will allow input of tasks like any project management software and calculate start and end dates based on logic links and constraint dates. However, you input start and end chainages and progress rates for the software to calculate durations. Thus this is also a planning tool. Actual progress can be entered on a daily (or any other period) basis and full history is kept.

There are many formatting options for viewing and printing the chart.

Is there any interest or comments?

Replies

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Peter Clarke
Bernard,

Try it with www in front, ie http://www.pbclarke.btinternet.co.uk/

[moderator edit]I changed the URL to a live link[/moderator edit]
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Peter,

That URL is not working for me. Are you sure that is correct? I tried http://pbclarke.btinternet.co.uk/ with no luck.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Peter Clarke
Thanks Mark, this is commercially available software (called TimeChg2000); a charge is neceassary due to the hundreds of hours of work that went into its development.

I do however offer a free demo version that is time constrained but otherwise fully functional. I will be pleased to send a copy to anyone who is interested.

Further details can be found on my web site at: pbclarke.btinternet.co.uk
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 15 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Peter,

Is this commercially available software ? freeware ? shareware ?

You may wish to allow a few key PPers to trial your software and hence give better feedback. This thread would be the place to recruit volunteer testers.

See also this thread

Mark