Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Percentage Progess checking

7 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Friends

I am new to this website.
Well I would like to ask that is it possible to theorytically check the overall percentage progress given by the system after you have fed the actual start dates and percentage progress in the schedule

suppose the system gives me 10 % overall progress.How can i check it.

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
If you are using P3, there is a simple way to note project percent complete (using remaining durations.) Just run a CPM report. At the bottom (around the fifth line from the bottom, I believe,) there will be a listing of Project Percent Complete. Good luck!
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Progress can be either a measure of time or effort (manhours). Since time and effort are not linear across the span of a project, I prefer and recommend that you measure progress in terms of manhours.

You can only qualify the overall percent complete if you can qualify the degree of accuracy in the estimating. Even then, you are assuming that the remaining schedule will stay within the margin of error recorded up to that point in time. This may or may not be a safe assumption.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
To what "system" are you referring ?
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
I think by "system" he means the software (P3 in this case).

[quote]for a simple Schedule with no resource planning how would you calculate the overall progress or how does the system calculate the overall summarized progress.[/quote]

Without resource planning, you are limited to measuring time. This is not a useful measure IMHO.

However, for each task, you can calculate:

Hours Elapsed / Hours Scheduled * 100 = Percent Complete

When calculating percent complete as a measure of time, each task is weighted the same, so average the percents complete across all tasks to find the total.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
Mary JoAnn
User offline. Last seen 17 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
what do you mean by "system"???
Sagar Agrawal
User offline. Last seen 20 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you all for the reply

Well what I want to calculate is the overall percentage progress of the total project which P3 gives us when we summarize the whole project

Cause for that we are relying on the system.

I agree there could be weightage factors like Cost,Qunatity
but say that for a simple Schedule with no resource planning how would you calaculate the overall progress or how does the system calculate the overall summarized progress.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Using duration as weighing factor, you can check by computing manually using the formula (Sum of OD - Sum of RD)/Sum of OD.

OD - Original Duration
RD - Remaining Duration

For resource units the formula is AQ/BQ

AQ - Actual Quantity
BQ - Budgeted Quantity

For cost, the formula is AC/BC

AC - Actual Cost
BC - Budgeted Cost

You can check all these data by printing reports.