Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Preferred Percentage Complete type and best for overall Roll up percentage

3 replies [Last post]
Marc Lum Lock
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Good evening,

I've been using Primavera P6 off and on, but now I've gone through two training courses and I am still a bit unsure of which percent complete type to utilize. Whilst I understand how Physical % complete works, it does not produce a roll up.

The master scheduler from my previous project (Gas-To-Liquids Plant refurbishment) always stood by the units % complete on the basis of being able to illustrate a roll up summary percentage complete to clients/investors etc. 

The issue I've had with these types is this;

--> If I have budgeted cumulative units vs actual cumulative units for my S-curve in an excel spreasheet, and I did an update two weeks later, but one of the activities had more actual units than originally budgeted, would that not change my overall percentage going forward? (i.e., isn't it possible that by the time I've reached at the end of the schedule, I would actually cross 100% ?)

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

-Marc.

Replies

Cletus Adams
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Marc,

I am trying to understand that when the physical % complete is used and the roll up does not show the summary right?

So if you are progressing with cost and using physical % complete you have to bring out your performance % complete to see the summary. to bring this out you have to go to column, then percent completes, in there choose performance % complete then you will be able to see the summary of the progress in % at the various WBS levels.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

go ahead and use the Physical % complete then when you are done with your update run this global change

Tools Global Change 

on the right select Add

where Physcial % complete    is greather than     0

Then Duration % Complete     =    Physical % complete

On the Right select Chnage

at the bottom right select Commit Chnages

now you can do what you want to do 

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

go ahead and use the Physical % complete then when you are done with your update run this global change

Tools Global Change 

on the right select Add

where Physcial % complete    is greather than     0

Then Duration % Complete     =    Physical % complete

On the Right select Chnage

at the bottom right select Commit Chnages

now you can do what you want to do