Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Turn Around Planning or Maintenance Planning

2 replies [Last post]
Florante Ileto
User offline. Last seen 12 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can somebody explain what is turn around planner or maintenance planner?

Thanks in advance.

RANTE

Replies

Trevor Williams
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
I have worked both as a Maintenance Planner, which includes Turnaround Planning. Here is brief job scenario that may help explain. A maintenance planner takes a work order from the operations to, let’s just say, replace a 12’ valve in a pipe rack. The planner will go out look at the valve, estimate what activities are needed to execute the work (build a scaffold, remove insulation, etc.), what materials are needed, what equipment are needed (i.e. – cranes, JLG, etc.). Once this “list” of activities is created the planner would then put labor hours and durations to each item, and schedule the sequence in which it is to be worked. If this work is to be conducted during an outage the planner would place this small schedule in to a large network of activities in a logical place for the work to be carried out during the turnaround (TAR). During the TAR the planner reviews what orders are being worked, updates them accordingly, what orders are coming on the next shift and ensures materials and equipment are available, and meets with the next shift to give them a status from the previous shift.

That is a long winded explanation, but I think I covered everything.

TLW
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rante,

This is a "Process" description.
I googled the "turn around planner" and found the following description for one post:

Some of the responsibilities of the engineer will be to:

§ Initiates detailed work outline for planned Turnaround Testing and Inspection (T&I).
Requests input and compile work scopes.

§ Prepares contracts work scopes.
Coordinates and chair meeting for planned T&Is.

§ Review engineering package issued by Plant Engineering or Design Agency for T&I related jobs

§ Schedules the required manpower and equipment for the execution of the T&I

§ Participates in the T&I execution.

Best,

Samer