Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Facing problem in Variance - BL project finish date in P6

No replies
Muhammad Tayyab
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I am facing problem in getting correct variance - BL project finish date in P6. My assigned program has project finish date of 09-Jun-23 and my current update program has project finish date of 09-Aug-23 whereas i am getting 53 days in the column of variance - BL project finish date in P6 instead of 61 days kindly guide and advise how to rectify it.

Regards

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 55 min ago. Offline

Hi Muhammad,

P6, same most of the other Scheduling Software calculate duration and variance base on working days and not calendar days.

Muhammad Tayyab

Hi Rodel Marasigan,

Thanks for explaination.My calendar is 6-days a week.

Is there any column selection to check the difference in calendar days instead of deducting 8 days of Non-Work days.

Regards,

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 hours 55 min ago. Offline

Muhammad,

There are two things that may affect the calculation of BL variance in P6.

1) Calendar working days - If you have a 6 days a week working days (Mon-Sat) on your calendar then the calculation is correct. The answer is 53 instead of 61.

2) Earned Value settings in Admin Preference - By default, P6 is calculating Earned Value BL variance based on:
   * Budgeted Values with Planned Date - Meaning the variance calculated on BL Planned Date vs Current Date. If the Baseline is progress Baseline and not fresh "no progress baseline", the BL Planned date maybe different from BL Current Date. If the baseline is progressed then the Earned Value settings must change to At Completion Value with Current Date or Budgetted Values with Current Date.

Muhammad Tayyab

Hi,

I accidently posted multiple time due to internet issue. ho wto delete the extra posts.

Muhammad Tayyab

Hi,

I accidently posted multiple time due to internet issue. ho wto delete the extra posts.

Muhammad Tayyab

Hi,