Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Longest path in under specific WBS

5 replies [Last post]
rauf kensuk
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All, I am working with 20 different construction under one P6 Program. Example WBS as below;  

1. Facility Construction

1.1. Block A

1.2. Block B

1.3. Block C and goes on. they are not connected to each other. their only intersection is project start finish activity   

I am trying to find the longest path for specific Block. what I mean is filtering longest Path in "Block A".   

When I "Longest Path" filter in P6, it runs for all WBS. What should I do for Longest Path in specific WBS or Block ?  

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 51 min ago. Offline

I am not a P6 user, I do not have the software, but suggest looking at the following link.

How to Display the Critical Path Leading to a "Specific Activity” in P6? - Project Control Academy

Maybe you can create a finish milestone for each individual Block and then find multiple float path, then create a filter for the path(s) number you are interested.

Good Luck

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 29 min ago. Offline

Rauf,

Each of the 20 buildings should be a separate project. Of course, you need a Global Activity code instead of/as well as the project specific WBS which is such a dissapointment in an 'Enterprise' environment.

The scheduling options allows selecting one float path per portfolio, or one float path per project with a single tick box.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

filter

ALL

where wbs equals Block A

and 

where longest path equals yes

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 29 min ago. Offline

Rauf,

Each of the 20 buildings should be a separate project. Of course, you need a Global Activity code instead of/as well as the project specific WBS which is such a dissapointment in an 'Enterprise' environment.

The scheduling options allows selecting one float path per portfolio, or one float path per project with a single tick box.

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 days 18 hours ago. Offline

You can use float path filter. 

To calculate float path:

1) Press F9 (run schedule) then click Options
2) Select Advance Tab then tick calculate multiple float paths
3) Tick Free Float then on Display multiple float paths ending on activity click ... on right side of text box and select the last activity of WBS (say Block A) that wanted to calculate longest path.
4) On Specify the number of float paths to calculate -> change the number to 1
5) Then click Close and click Schedule
6) After running the schedule, create a filter and name it with Float Path (recommended name) Where Float Path equal 1 (criteria)
7) Apply the filter and it will show the longest path of selected WBS

Do the same to other WBS