Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Contractor is submitting baseline with settings at "Calc Mult. Float Paths" using "Free Float"

4 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 hour ago. Offline
Groups: None

Contractor is submitting baseline with settings at "Calc Mult. Float Paths" using "Free Float" - would this do anything at all to change float values?  what would this do to the schedule?  should they be required to remove it?  (Personally I like to use the float path calc for a report, but I always put it back/remove it.)

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

you got it now

John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 1 hour ago. Offline

Thanks, I have used it to sort paths, but didn't know why it is a seperate setting - I guess just for the Float Path column.  Just wanted some re-assurance.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

As John mnetioned the contractor is looking at multiple critical paths.

Free float is the amount of time that an activity can move to the right without delaying the early start date of its immediated successor. Which is different from total float.

I like to find the true critical path by creating a new code and name it My critical path and give it the code value of cp.

Now filter for just the last activity in the schedule and look at the predcessor window and make sure that the driving box and critical box are both displayed in the predcessor window. 

Look at the precesssor window and look for the predcessor avtivity that has BOTH the critical and driving box checked.

Find that activity and select it and in the bottom of the predcessor window select GOTO now do the same thing with this activity and keep doing this until you get back to the data date. If this is a basline then the data date shold be the same as the project start date. 

Once you have gotten back to the data date select all the activites and right click and select Assign and select codes and assign these activites to the My critical path code by giving them the CP value

Now you can filter for where my critical path equals CP

this is your true critical path.

Rodney Jones
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 15 hours ago. Offline

Hi John,

This won't change the values. Your contractor is measuring different critical paths for review. Free Float is the space between each activity, Total Float is the more prefered selection for a critical path that has Zero float. But at the end of the day, it doesn't change any values, you can run multi flavours of float reports, I think the actual float calculation doesn't change in this instance.

RJ