Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Professional R19.12 Importing a WBS from Excel

2 replies [Last post]
Steven Montgomery
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I would like to import a WBS from MS Excel to P6 Professional. I attempted to do this by first exporting a P6 schedule to MS Excel so make sure I have the correct format. Unfortunately, P6 Professional does not import Excel data that has a column heading including an (*). This means P6 will not import WBS Path, WBS Name, and WBS Category. Also, for some reason I was unsuccessful importing the WBS Code as well.

What is the most efficient way to import a WBS from MS Excel to P6 Professional? My WBS is over 400 lines. I would also be nice to include the Summary Scope of Work with the WBS.

Am I better off manually inputing the WBS directly into P6 Professional?

Any input?

--Steve

Replies

Mohammed Ali
User offline. Last seen 1 year 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

• See this amazing tool to design and export the WBS from Excel to Primavera.
  • You can prepare thousands of WBS Elements in few minutes.
  • It runs on all Excel versions 32 bit and export to any version of Primavera.
  • Learn about it from these group of Videos, if you would like to get it leave your Email.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFPaRgp0OMtk3Fl88xFKiQjpBD4CnLm0U

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 41 min ago. Offline

Hi Steven,

You cannot use P6 import/export function in excel to create a WBS dictionary into P6 Project. The best way is to use the excel XER parser & builder. You can create a WBS dictionary for a project using this tools. But you need to learn how to use it first. See link for your reference. How to Import WBS using excel XER parser