Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Extracting Data from a Hosted System

6 replies [Last post]
James Bishop
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am currently working on a commission which utilises a hosting service, the system is very well setup by the host provider through their cloud based desktop. What this does mean is we cannot extract data without paying the hoster for retrieval and cleansing of the data.

Additionally I cannot extract to Excel as the virtual desktop is inaccessible and excel has been disabled.

If anyone has had similar issues and has found a solution to managing to extract data I would be very greatful for your advice.

Replies

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Gosh, James, I consider myself an expert in Primavera functions, but the Oracle Corporations ever-changing licencing terms and conditions are beyond me. Last time I looked Web services was part of the EPPM licence. That does not mean your hosting service has it installed. AND it could involve a major IT exercise to implement a solution. You need IT support.
Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

James,

Can you describe why its not practical? Might help to understand the issue.

James Bishop

Not a silly reply, just not practical in this instance unfortunately

James Bishop

Thanks David, if you don't mind me asking in your experience additionally 'WebServices' is this a standard element of the primavera licence purchase or is this a bolt on with a hosted system?

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Might sound like a silly question, but can you not copy and paste from your P6 layout into your own desktop's Excel? 

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
This is quite common, James, and I find it as an issue with many of my clients. Typically, you can extract the data in Excel format, but you cannot open the data you want to extract in Excel. (My guess is the Excel is not ‘inaccessible’ – just not licenced.) All forms of ‘Citrix-y’ environments allow you to save data inside the environment. You then require a ‘real’ desktop that can map to the host location. Using the tabular report writer, you can save pretty much any data in either CSV or HTML format. CSV is the easiest to process but you have a real problem if your out put contains fields like £1,000.56, and activity descriptions with single and double quotes, choosing a delimiter may be impossible. You may have to save as HTML ( which will open in Excel) but that does mean a bit more work to get it into the next system.