Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Currency

4 replies [Last post]
muhammad sajjad
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello every body, I am new to this forum. I have a question regarding currency of a project. I work in Public Sector Organization where we have to use both currencies (Local and Foreign) but in P6 i can use only conversion and showing the one currency at a time. Can we show two or more currencies for a Project in Primavera P6.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 34 min ago. Offline

I suggest actuals for each activity cost code be entered in the currency used for activity budgeting as these values will be used to calculate remaining costs.

If you have hundreds of cost codes as I would expect in the public sector it mean hundreds of formulas, hundreds of columns x hundreds of lines. There must be an easier way.

Spider Project does it without the need of formulas, with a single field for cost accounts named "unit cost" which is essentially the exchange rate. With hundreds of cost codes a tabular report template will do it at a single click.

Multiple-Currencies click image and zoom

The following links might be of interest.

As a fully integrated solution you can expand your project management even further with streamlined integration to Sage 300 ERP Inventory Control, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Purchase Order, and Payroll modules. These applications work seamlessly and synergistically to contribute valuable insights to project costing analysis. Costs and system-calculated burden, overhead, and profits are posted directly to the general ledger. Save time by defining details to be used when creating billing invoices in Accounts Receivable. You can also purchase or bill for products in any currency and have the cost flow into Project Costing in your home currency. From the details to the big picture, you’re equipped to capitalize on the insights behind the numbers and keep your company on track for success.

If you’re like many project managers, you spend a great deal of time and effort trying to get a handle on elusive project costs. Effective project management requires a high level of communication between all entities involved, so you can know what materials and costs have been ordered or delivered and who has been billed. Not to mention tracking other resources, such as time spent on each project or job. Currently, you are trying to manage projects and jobs manually and are most likely juggling a variety of spreadsheets, spending too much time on manual reporting and communications, and often costs are spiraling out of control.

Be warned these vendors are "Best of Breed" at accounting and job costing but not at scheduling.  In addition many clients require a specific scheduling software, it is better if you keep them apart.

Good Luck

Rafael

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

use excel to popluate the udf

muhammad sajjad
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Thanx Zoltan. UDF is the last trick. For a Large scale Project with thousands of activities its little difficult.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

no just do the conversion or the other option is to create a UDF

go to Enterprise

then User Defined Fields

in the drop down select Activities 

then select Add

then select type in Foreign Costs in the title and in the data type select Cost

now for each activity add your foreign costs here