Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Urgent: Apply Fixed Price Cost to Activity

3 replies [Last post]
Mike planner
User offline. Last seen 2 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello All, 

I want to apply a Fixed Price Cost to my activities. For example

Foundation 

Original Duration = 10 days 

Fixed Price Cost for this activity = $10000

QUESTION: 

1) How do apply the fixed price cost to this activity? 

2) When i progress the activity in future, say 20% completed, duration remaining = 8 days, the actual cost will automatically change to $2000 and the remaining cost will change to $8000

3) The problem is, I know there are ways to change the cost unit to say $1000/day so it will calculate the actual cost and remaining cost when i progress the activity but i want a fixed price cost for every different activity. For example if i set the cost unit to $1000/d then i have a different activity with 20d duration with the exactly same cost $10000, and the next activity is 30d duration with the exact same cost, this is why i cannot use the cost/unit formula. 

4) From all the points above, is there a way for P6 to assign a fixed cost to activities and update the actual costs automatically when i assign progress in the future, either by duration remaining / physical % complete / duration % complete?

Thank you so much for your help, i have been struggleling to produce this assignment. 

Many thanks 

Mike 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

if it was nto set up like that initially it will not work unless you add the resource again.

the rules are in efect at the time that the resource was added

Mike planner
User offline. Last seen 2 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Zoltan, 

Thank you for the reply and i really appreciate this. 

Picture 1 -

• Before Progress, Resource is set as budgeted unit 1/day or budgetted 5 for 5 days. 
  • Cost is set as $5000 fixed price 

1.png

Picture 2 - 

• I progress the activity as 2 days remaining
  • The cost actual cost doesnt change? 

2.png

Picture 3 - 

• This is my calculation project setting, it seems to do what you said earlier 

3.png

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

1. if you want a fixed cost then make sure that calculate costs from units is NOT CHECKED. Then just add the resource and put in the fixed costs. You can also export the budgedt costs to excel and import the fixed costs. Yoy MUST have calculate costs from units NOT CHECKED.

if you want to change all of these you can go to tools global change

where resource name is not equal to (leave blank)

then calculate cost from units =no

then on the right select  Apply changes 

then on the bottom comitt changes

2. if you have units you can select calculate cost from units 

for each type of resource you can set a Price/unit

lets say you set the price per a resource to $100 now if you have 10 units thats woul be $100 * 10= $1,000

3. is not a question 

4. Go to Projects make sure you project is open click on  the Calculations tab on the right under Resource Assignments 

make aure that When updating Actual Units or Costs that 

Subtract Actual from At Completion is checked and that 

Recalculate Actual Unist and Costs when duration % complete changes is checked

also make sure that Link Actual and Actual This Period Units and Cost is checked.