Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS is not sorting correctly in Activities

6 replies [Last post]
Justin Reese
User offline. Last seen 5 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Time to ask a question to those who are smater than I am.

I have my WBS structure completed correctly as per below

wbs.jpg

When I switch to activities my WBS order is changed with construction activities at the top and general conditions/Preparatory work is at the bottom per below:

activities.jpg

For printing purposes I would really like to get GC's and Preparatory work above construction activities on the activities page.  No combo of layouts or group and sort seem to help, so I thought I would ask some more seasoned professionals to try and troubleshoot. 

Thank you for the help in advance.

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Justin, no problem, and thanks for following up with a response.

Justin Reese

Santosh,

That worked perfectly.  Thank you very much for the help.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Justin, in the WBS view, click on the WBS code column header, note that the Triangle will cycle through up, down and then into the Hierarchical display. The default sort for WBS in the Activity View is your hierarchical order.

You'll need to do the following

1) Change the WBS view to have the WBS code column sorted by Hierarchy

2) Use the Arrows (likely to be on the right side of the screen) to order the WBS codes into your required order. Note you can also click on any line and then press CTRL+Up/Down/Left/Right arrows to shift these about.

3) Leve the Acticity View Grouping to be by WBS.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Don't use WBS Path instead Group and Sort by Default. It will organize into Hierarchical.

Justin Reese

Thanks for the input, sorting by WBS path gets it in the right order but then I lose my WBS names and the columns on the left.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi,

The WBS Layout seems sorted by Code in Ascending Order while in the Activity Pane WBS is sorted in hierarchical order.

Try to organize the WBS layout in Hierarchical Order.

Regards.