Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

XLS import privileges setup issue

4 replies [Last post]
Sebastian Giambrone
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Planners,

I wonder if one of you can help me with this privileges setting issue. 

I have created a new database with different global and project profiles. The problem I am having is that users cannot import from an XLS file, it only seems possible to do this if you are the Admin Superuser (global security profile). 

All the Global Security Profiles have the Import XLS permission (under tools) so I am unsure what I am missing here. Looked up the issue on the Oracle help area and it says what I pasted below this post, but I cannot get my head around it. 

We can get as far as to point where you pick the project you want to update. It opens a window but shows no projects, not even the one you have open. 

We are using P6 EPPM 17.12.1 

Any ideas? 

Kind regards 

Sebastian

Import XLS option

Determines whether the profile will enable users to import projects, resources, and roles from XLS files into P6 Professional and P6. P6 Professional users must also be a Project Superuser to update a project from XLS format. P6 users do not need to be a Project Superuser, but do require the Add/Edit Activities Except Relationships privilege.

Replies

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

To import XLS files against projects there are two conditions that must be met by the user:

1. The user must have a Global Profile that has the privilege to import XLS enabled
  2. The User must access project(s,) via the OBS, as a <Project SuperUser>

EDIT: the above appear to be the case if you are using a P6 PPM database. It would seem that if you are connecting to P6 EPPM, then you do not need ot be a <PRoject SuperUser> but require the privilege to Edit Activities Except Relationships

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

no you should be able to do this check your latest excel there was an automatic security patch from microsoft that prevented importing and exporting to and from excel  

Sebastian Giambrone
User offline. Last seen 5 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Thanks, Zoltan 

I have created new Global Security Profiles and Projects Profiles and applied these to the appropriate people. However, what is strange is that even though I give everyone the ability to "import XLS" as a Global Permission, it does not allow them to do it. 

There seems to settings under the Projects Level security settings that relate to XLS. It suggests that there is some setting somewhere that I am missing or P6 only allows people with Superuser access to import XLS which does not sound correct. 

Thanks 

Seb

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

you should be able to cretae a type of user other than super user and give that user the admin rights that you want i.e user PM or end user and give the rights that you use. You will have to assign the individual users to that group with those rights.

so you make Joe Blow a member of the PM group  and he has the rights under the PM user

so you are bascially assigning individual users to a USER type