Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PMSDK: Connecting via standalone VB script (Visual Studio)

No replies
Vic A
User offline. Last seen 8 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I have looked at previous related topics and they have got me as far as the (hopefully last) hurdle. I get an error when my VB script tries to access the database through PMSDK. My setup is as follows;

• I am running a standalone install of P6 Professional R8.3.2 with Oracle Database 11g Express Edition running locally;
  • I am using a 64-bit Windows 7 PC;
  • I have successfully installed and configured PMSDK using the 32-bit ODBC administrator;
    capture1.jpg
  • I have successfully configured the database in the Primavera DB configuration utility using the settings:
    • Database alias = PMSDK
    • Driver type = Oracle
    • Connection String = XE
    • Username AND password = pubprm$pm
    • Group ID = 1
  • The above settings result in a successful connection test.
  • Both MS Office and Visual Studio (Express Edition, 2013) are installed in Program Files (x86), but:
    • I am not trying to connect via MS Office application macros
    • The VS compile path does not contain parentheses
  • The code is simply a connection test example; (The project references Microsoft ActiveX Data Obects 6.1 Library. A lot of the other System libraries are located in the .NETFramework folder that is located in Program Files (x86) - could that be the problem?)

"Module Module1

Sub Main()

Dim SDK As ADODB.Connection

Dim RecSet As ADODB.Recordset

Dim lNumRecords As Long

SDK = New ADODB.Connection

Call SDK.Open("PMSDK", "pubprm$pm", "pubprm$pm")

RecSet = SDK.Execute("SELECT * FROM PROJECT", lNumRecords, ADODB.CommandTypeEnum.adCmdUnknown)

RecSet.MoveFirst()

While Not (RecSet.EOF)

MsgBox(RecSet.Fields("PROJ_ID").Value)

RecSet.MoveNext()

End While

RecSet.Close()

RecSet = Nothing

SDK.Close()

SDK = Nothing

End Sub

End Module"

• When compiled and run, the above script fails to connect to the database with the following error messages:

"An unhandled exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in P6ConnectTest.exe

Additional information: [ATI][OpenRDA ODBC]RDA error: Resource not available - Connect error: =PMSDK;Driver=PMSDK;engine=PM;lf=C:\temp\PMSDK.LOG;lo=verbose;pg=1;pp=pubprm$pm;pu=pubprm$pm;.

Error returned from engine: Logon failed: invalid user pubprm$pm

VDB.Connect; hResult=0x80040011 (PMSDK_E_BAD_LOGON: username/password or license invalid); EOleSysError=SDK failed to logon to driver

Error number: 0x80040011"

• PMSDK.log gives more of the same:

"150824:22:47:01.862 - VDB.Connect: "pubprm$pm" using params=DB = PMSDK, Public Group Id=1, Log File Name=, LogOptions=verbose

150824:22:47:04.518 - Logon failed: invalid user pubprm$pm

150824:22:47:04.518 - ERROR => Logon failed: invalid user pubprm$pm

VDB.Connect; hResult=0x80040011 (PMSDK_E_BAD_LOGON: username/password or license invalid); EOleSysError=SDK failed to logon to driver

150824:22:47:04.518 - VDB.Disconnect"

Does anybody know why this is happening and if anything can be done to correct it? Working with excel dumps is fast outliving its usefulness and it would be great to be able to work with the data directly. Any help is greatly appreciated.