Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Changing Resource Calendars and Budgeted Units

2 replies [Last post]
riyas ahmed
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Everyone… Could you help me with the following problem 

After allocating a Resource to an Activity(Task Dependent), when i change my Resource Calendar, Budgeted Units are not changing accordingly.

For example, I’ve a Resource(with 8Hr Resource Calendar) which is allocated to an activity with Budgeted Units “1d or 8h” .Now, if i change my resource calendar to a 10 Hr Calendar, its not being reflected in the Budgeted Units.It still shows Budgeted Units as “8 Hrs”.I tried reallocating the resource, but it didn’t work.Why is it so?

If the Activity Calendar is changed, the Activity Durations would change according to the Time Period of the new Calendar.I was expecting the same to happen with Budgeted Units when the Resource Calendar was changed.

From this, what i conclude is for a Task Dependent Activity, Activity Calendar determines the conversion and for a Resource Dependent Activity, it’s the Resource Calendar that determines the conversion in Budgeted Units.Is my understanding correct?

Replies

riyas ahmed
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Thank you very much Zoltan...

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

that is correct a resource dependent does exactly what it says and that is that the duration of the activity is dependent upon the resource. So if you have a resource set to a default of 10hrs/day and you input 20 units in the resource then the duration will be 2 days. Conversely if you activity type is fixed duration and units and your default resource set to a default of 10hrs/day and your duration is 2 days it will make the budgeted units 20 hours. 

as far as "It still shows Budgeted Units as “8 Hrs”." You have to remember that the setting that were in effect during the time that you added the resource reaming in effect. 

so to fix this delete al of your resource assigned to the activities and then add the resource back in with the new setting if 10 hrs/day

if an activity calendar is changed this will NOT change the duration of the activity it will only change the start and finish date. The duration is the duration but the duraiton can be changed if the activity type is resource dependent as outlined above