Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Remaining cost distribution

5 replies [Last post]
Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I have an updated schedule(p6 ver7) with the baseline assigned as "Project Baseline". I am using physical percentage and Fixed dur & units. In my schedule there is a problem with the rem cost calculation.

For eg: the project budget is 10000. At the present update period, earned value cost is 4000 and performance % is 40%. Based on the modification in the remaining duration, the actual cost is less than 4000, say 3500. In my understanding the actual cost will change automatically based on the rem duration (even with the physical % complete type). or we need to do manually.

Now, from p6 i need to generate the remaining budget to the end of the project. The problem is P6 is calculating the remaining cost, starting with 3500 (actual cost),not with 4000(reported to client as the present performance %). In my knowledge it can be solved by changing the actual cost similar to the earned value cost.

Is there any other easy method to resolve it?

Thanks

Kannan

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

correct if you are using physical % complete it wil not do that so what you have to do is create a global change where duration percent complete equals physical % complete

Kannan CP

actual cost will not change if the physical percentage changes, but the earned value cost will be changed automatically.

Kannan

Zoltan Palffy

sure if physcial % complete is greater than 0

then actual costs equals physical % complete * budgeted costs

Kannan CP

Hi Zoltan,

With the settings- Fixed duration & units, Physical%, I didn;t see the units update automatically with a percentage progress. But if I change the remaining duration, the actual units will be updated automatically, because the check box is ticked in the Projects tab CALCULATION "Recalculate Actual Units & Cost when duration % changes".

But in my case I want to know-is there any global change option to change actual unit/cost to earned value unit/cost?. Other wise I have to do it manually to prepare the remaining cost upto the end of project.

Regards

Kannan

Zoltan Palffy

the units will be updated automatically but the cost will have to update manually