Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is open Plan Dead

18 replies [Last post]
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hello PP,

I used OP a few years ago after P3 and got used to it. It had some handy features. What happened to it?

judging from the response and replies it looks like hardly anybody uses it anymore.

Some feedback would be great

Regards,

Joel

Replies

John Owen
User offline. Last seen 9 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
lol. Pleased to hear you are alive and well too :)
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 38 weeks ago. Offline
Much more excited to discover John Owen is not dead than Open Thingumy’s mortal status!!
John Owen
User offline. Last seen 9 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Joel,

I have a vested interest (Open Plan Product Manager) but Open Plan is far from dead. It’s very strong in aerospace, defense and government, less so in Oil&Gas/Construction and IT. Open Plan tends to be used on large projects where capacity, performance, flexibility, and integration are key factors. Of course Open Plan also benefits from being tied closely to Cobra, probably the leading Project Cost Management / Earned Value tool on the planet.

John
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Joanne,

Having the same proplems with Primavera V5

Regards

Philip
Joanne Foster
User offline. Last seen 16 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
5 years ago it was v2.6 stable and without too many bugs

v3.x has been a struggle with stability, performance and bugs...the latest version is *almost* there
Philip Jonker
Hi Gary,

The last time I used OP was about 5 years ago, and it was fairly stable, being out of the "Old school" I still miss the old dos V4 OP programme which had few bugs, but, time has no boss, and we have to keep up to date. Let know about your OP experiences, I may have a tip or two for you.

Regards
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hello everyone -first time poster here.

Just started a new job in the Water industry and am using OpenPlan for the first time. The company has just rolled out v3.1 and I’ve been given the task of coming up with some best practise guidance notes on setting up & anlaysing projects.
So far, I’ve not had any problems with OPP but reading this thread I guess there are a few issues -it would be very useful if you could guys could give me some pointers on pitfalls we should be avoiding?
Many thanks in advance,

Gary
Philip Jonker
Hi Joanne,

Let me know of the package
Philip Jonker
Hi Bill,

Agreed, I learnt on the drawing board, and the rest, but connected to computors early in life, and saw the picture
Joanne Foster
Joel

I’m now on their latest version...but have not fully tested it (scarey)...so once i get around to it I’ll keep everyone updated on the newly discovered undocumented features!

At least now...it appears to be rolling up percent complete properly!!!

J
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Joanne,

I thought Open plan had sorted out their business, I guess I’ll stick to the old faithful package.

Thanks.
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Pencils what about punch cards and syntax errors

actually

i still use a pencil and paper its strangly rewarding when the power goes off and the UPS bleeps for the last time.

I wonder though if the terminology of programming came from line dancing????

Forward pass
Backward pass

Maybe football

and is CPA the Same as CPM

Well it is Saturday
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
PHILIP

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE MARK ONE PENCIL.

WE did lots of scheduling with it, and agree that Open Plan beats it.
haaaaaaaa

Best Regards Bill
Joanne Foster
Hermie

I know you have an unhealthy relationship with OPP...but let’s face it...making the schedule ’pretty’ doesn’t make it good software...or a good schedule!

Welcom need to have their a$$ kicked for releasing so many dodgey untested versions of OPPv3.x. With some of the releases over the past 18 months I wonder whether Welcom actually have a Test & Evaluation department!

J
Hermie LaO
User offline. Last seen 17 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Philip, Bill,

Open Plan is alive and doing very well.

I disagree that it is for computer geeks. It is very flexible and perhaps often misunderstood because of this.

Other systems looks better because they made their systems simple, forcing users to think towards a certain direction.

For example in most systems you are left with a pre-defined list of fields that you can use to define a bar in a gannt chart. Some extend this functionality by allowing custom fields. However you have to either manually change the content or run global changes to update it.

In Open Plan you can define the bar anyway you want. dynamically changing content as you progress the on the project.

Regards,
Philip Jonker
Hi Bill,

Never thought you had blinkers, basically you are right, but give the rest a break. Open plan has a right to existence, as they have been through the mill. The question lies in does P3e and P3ec have any rights?????????????
Regards
Philip
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
iF OPEN PLAN IS NOT DEAD IT SHOUD BE.

NUCKLEHEAD PROGRAM good if you want to spend 98 percent of your time working of forats, etc and 2 percent on planning.

For computer freaks,not planners

Cheers bill
Joanne Foster
Australian Defence industry uses it heavily - the government organisation (Defence Material Organisation (DMO)) has in the last couple of years implemented it...and many of the contractors use it. DMO are starting to write into their contracts the requirement for OPP to be used.

Joanne