Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PROS & CONS OF OPEN PLAN

2 replies [Last post]
Andrew Mullinax
User offline. Last seen 17 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I use P3 and my company is looking to migrate to Open Plan and I would like to find some kind of list of pros and cons of Open Plan and how well will it replace P3 or not.

Replies

Andrew Mullinax
User offline. Last seen 17 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the info and short breakdown.

We are migrating to OP because our accounting is migrating to a Deltek system. So the thought is using OP & Cobra to ease the EVM tasking, which is laborous with P3 & current accounting software.

If you remember anymore flaws or weird operating issues with OP, please pass them along.

Thanks again.
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 13 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Pros:
-Open Plan is easier to interface with other systems eg timesheet or accounting systems.
-OP is more customisable by the user if you want to do weird & wonderful things

Cons:
-Not as popular as P3, so harder to find experienced users, & clients / contractors unlikely to be using the same system as you.
-What OP gains in customisability, it loses in user-friendliness. If you’re not too techy, you’ll probably find it harder to pick up than P3.
-The way the data tables are structured is flawed (at least in my version -3.1.1.645) so you can’t do really basic things like show activity resource budgets, actuals & forecasts on the same screen.

Overall though, it’s much of a muchness. Why is your firm migrating to OP?