Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Trace Driving Predecessor Logic

3 replies [Last post]
Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 2 days 7 hours ago. Offline

For people new to Microsoft Project (MSP), here is a link to a blog post on how to trace driving predecessor logic in Microsoft Project. It shows where to find MSP’s version of the “Driving” checkbox & “GoTo” button used  to trace relationship logic in Primavera P6

https://plannerstips.blogspot.com/2018/11/quick-tip-how-to-trace-driving-logic-in.html

=jerome

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 12 min ago. Offline

I do not use MSP but the capacity to calculate resource leveled critical path makes BPC Logic Filter a must have for any MS Project scheduler.

http://www.boyleprojectconsulting.com/TomsBlog/2016/03/31/the-resource-critical-path-logic-analysis-of-resource-leveled-schedules-ms-project-part-2/

Jerome Odeh
User offline. Last seen 2 days 7 hours ago. Offline

Tom,

Thanks for pointing out the issues with non-FS relationships.

I'll add an addendum to the blog post advising readers of the issues you've highlighted.

=jerome

Tom Boyle
User is online Online
Groups: None

Jerome,

You've posted up a good introduction to the Predecessors function of the Task Inspector tool.  The same information is used to make the "DrivingPredecessors" bar styles in MSP 2013+.  While these are the closest that native MSP comes to the "driving" relationship indicator of OPV, I've found them unreliable whenever non-FS relationships are involved.  {See Problems with Predecessor Tasks in Task Inspector and Task Paths (Microsoft Project 2010-2016)}. They definitely don't work for external relationships and resource-leveling drivers.

Those who are serious about logic tracing in MSP have to use 3rd-party Add-Ins.  The Task Logic Inspector in BPC Logic Filter gets much closer to what I'm accustomed to seeing in P6.