Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Can Project calculate the number of people (resources) required to execute?

3 replies [Last post]
Dale Favero
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am using Project to plan execution time lines for maintenance.  I deal with a large workforce that has many special quals.  To that end I have my resource sheet set up showing all of these skills.  To accomplish this work takes numerous mechanics with this special skill.  I have been assigning that resource (special skill) and then tagging it with a 200%, 300% or whatever as appropriate to show the number of mechanics needed to make the team. 

Is there a better way?  I really need the ability to make task break downs without knowing who the work team is.  I need the software to help me track how many and what flavor of mechanics I need on any given week.

Thanks in Advance

Dale

Replies

Ron Beechey
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dale

First I would change the 100% to 1 as we are talking a resource of which it is hard to cut in half.   Since most tasks are duration driven.  anyway you can change this in the project options to Decimal.   Then for a task that needs 4 special welders you only need to indicate 4.   If you are doing your maintenance work like ours then you would have only a single resource per task.   It takes a little more time but makes a better schedule for each trade as you can filter for each and they have their own.   Also as Alexandre points out you can also take the task to the person but if there is a large number of resources as well as tasks  this may be hard to do.

There are a number of different views like the resource usage view were the total number of resources special can be viewed.   If need you can always copy and paste into excel and do some manpower graphs

Ron Beechey
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dale

First I would change the 100% to 1 as we are talking a resource of which it is hard to cut in half.   Since most tasks are duration driven.  anyway you can change this in the project options to Decimal.   Then for a task that needs 4 special welders you only need to indicate 4.   If you are doing your maintenance work like ours then you would have only a single resource per task.   It takes a little more time but makes a better schedule for each trade as you can filter for each and they have their own.   Also as Alexandre points out you can also take the task to the person but if there is a large number of resources as well as tasks  this may be hard to do.

There are a number of different views like the resource usage view were the total number of resources special can be viewed.   If need you can always copy and paste into excel and do some manpower graphs