Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project 2003 and 2007 running concurrently on same machine

7 replies [Last post]
Rohit K
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I want to install project 2003 on my laptop (vista SP 2 updated, 32 bit, 2.00 Hz, 3 GB ram) currently project 2007 pro is being installed. The project 2003 is required to convert my project files to primavera 6.0.
So how to go ahead, are there are any installation things that need to be taken care as I dont want my 2007 to stop working.

Rohit

Replies

Rohit K

Satish,

Had tried. Following is what I had done:

1) opened my schedule in project 2007 and saved as project 2000- 2003

2) uninstalled 2007 from the system and restarted system

3) tried the mpptompx converter

4) but it says while converting that "Rs. 50.00 is not a valid point" ( For your information I have a resource that is having its std rate as Rs 50 / hour)

5) so am still unable to convert it to P6.0

Rohit 

SATISH YADAVALLI
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi rohit,

I have tried in all the ways but it is not working by installing 2003 & 2007 & then to primavera p6. version conversion. Ultimatley i am using 2007 & saving as 2003 file & then uninstalling 2007 version & 2003 as working one. then restart PC and conversion from 2003 to primavera is happening successfully. After completion of all these, i am installing 2007 version and recently using 2010 verion also.

If better solution is there then kindly help me in this regard.

Rohit K

Rafael,

Have got the converter mpptompx by searching the net. But able to only convert the non resource and cost loaded schedules, that to not able to view it in P 6.0 missing the start, end, durations, etc only able to view the activity list.

Still facing some issues with the resourced and cost loaded schedules.

Got a lot to learn from you guys.

So keep on seeding your knowledge.

Rohit

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 4 min ago. Offline

Rohit,

Try to use "save as" when in MSP 2003 and save to the earliest MSP version available, change the name to make sure you identify the correct version as you might get two files with different file extension that is invisible but same name. Then try opening this older version directly from P6 to see if you got to a version that was available at the time of release of your P6 version. Maybe you will be able to open an older MPP version directly.

If you cannot open older MPP version then you might try the conversion utility mpp2mpx that Primavera provided a few years ago, there is a possibility it is on your installation CDs.

Another option to try is by using XML file format from either versions of MSP in the hope P6.0 can read them.

That is how far as I can go, I do not use nor have P6. Previously I had access but not now. Still I follow the basics of P6 and MSP because at times I must convert from MSP and P6 to my software.

I do not believe it will be the last time you will be in need to convert from MSP, this I must do with files from our subcontractors, I do not have such issues not only because I use different software but also because I use the latest version always, I download the upgrades at least once a week. Perhaps it is about time for you to upgrade to a newer version of your software.

Good luck,

Rafael

Rohit K

Rafael,

I have followed the same instructions. Uninstalled 2007, installed 2003 and then 2007. They are working. Now when I am opening my 2007 file in 2003 and saving it, to convert it to primavera 6.0 by saving it fromm mpp to prr and then to mpx by a software from smartworks I am not able to get the primavera file. Theres an error showing.

What needs to be done?

Rohit

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 4 min ago. Offline

Perhaps you need to uninstall MSP 2007 and then install MSP 2003 first and thereafter MSP 2007 in this sequential order for both to coexist peacefully.

http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1103736.htm

"You can install Project 2003 and Project 2007 on same PC if you want to. But you will need to install 2003 first and then 2007. Microsoft deliberately designed for this to make upgrading easier. I have both running on my desktop and laptop as different customers have different versions. So, it is fine to have both the ms project version installed on same pc."

Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Rohit,

You can but not very easily. You would need to Dual Boot your laptop with Windows 7 (or XP) and Vista, and run seperate OS on each before installing 2k3.

You should then get two options on your boot screen, choose the most applicable for the Project Planning task you're going to do.

Or depending on your circumstance you can invest in some VMware.

Regards,

Darren Kosa