Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Exporting timescaled data to Excel

2 replies [Last post]
Kym Lesinski
User offline. Last seen 17 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to export timescaled info to excel in a customised layout? I’ve seen the function called "Analyze Timescaled Data in Excel" however the format of the information is restricted to a only a few options. I’ve created a few resource codes and I want to export the data grouped by those codes.

For example: Time distributed work forecast where all staff are grouped by their role/discipline, the role/discipline is specified by a resource code I’ve created. I want to export this info into Excel so I can see the rolled up forecast for each role/discipline.

Cheers,

Kym.

Replies

Kym Lesinski
User offline. Last seen 17 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
I like the pivot table idea, I’ll look into that. Ideally I’d like this to be a direct data dump from MSP which requires no further work in excel.

It will be used by bid managers to help compile a future work model for each discipline based on the probability of winning the work. It would be much easier to do in P3e but unfortunately we’re stuck with this system at the moment.

Cheers for the tip.

Kym.
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Kym,

There is a variety of ways that you can do something very similar. The best method is dependent upon exactly what results you’d like to achieve. You could save/export as a pivot table. You could do a "Group By...Resource Code", select the relevant activities, and then use the Analyse Timescale Data. This would give you one "XL file" per resource group. Subsequently you could transfer all the other data to just one of the files and combine them.

Another way, is to go into the Resource Sheet, select the individual resource names that form one resource group, and then Analyse Timescale Data. This would also give you one XL file per "resource group". Combine them all afterwards.

Precisely what you do will be dependent on whether it is just a one-off, something regular /frequent and how many resources you have.

HTH.

James.