Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Units

2 replies [Last post]
Chris Murray
User offline. Last seen 17 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All,

I’ve been working with P3 for years and currently in a role which requires me to use MS Project.

I have a resource for example a Ship, which I have entered as a resource, type: work.

But I want it as a material so I can see how many ships are required in my resource chart. But if I enter it as a material the resource graphs fail to show what I want i.e. the scale is not large enough. At present the scale shows between 1 to 24. My one ship shows at the bottom so only showing a small fraction on the screen.

Any help??

Replies

Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Chris,

Would it be possible to enter your resource in a different way? Instead of entering 1 ship as your resource, enter the ship`s cargo capacity in thousands of tons, this might give you the scale you want.

Chris Oggham
Chris Murray
User offline. Last seen 17 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Chris,

I see your point. But, the weightage of the vessel is not the measurable factor. It is infact the job requires one certain vessel, and if two jobs were to require the same vessel the graphs would idealy show an overallocation.

Regards