Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Tips

7 replies [Last post]
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 17 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi All,

A client needs schedule in Ms Project and i having no experience with Ms Project have no choice but to make the project in P3 and then convert it in Ms Project. In this regard i would appreciate if anyone can tell as to

1. How can the activties be organized as we do in P3 under Activtiy codes etc.

2. Is there a way to show a peak usage of resources i.e. over a timscale with an interval of weeks or months when the project is in days.

Thanks,

Rashid Iqbal

Replies

Rashid Iqbal
Yeah, you are somewhat right though you know the contractors ussally do not want to create disputes for nothin..

Regards
Rashid
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rashid,

my stupid question....is MSP being specified in the first place by the client as the schedulling software.

if the client never specify and request to change the software in the middle of the project implementation, then it’s not quite right and will cause lots of unnecessary problem...contractor should deserve variation order??

Thanks

norzul
Rashid Iqbal
Thanks a lot for all these tips.

For the last few days i was on the project which needed the schedule in Ms Project. I got their schedule done in P3.1 and now will convert it into MPX and will fix any problems. Now as per you tips i know that i have to use the outine fuction of Ms Project to orgainze activties and i may get back to you for further advice in this connection.

Thanks

Rashid
Michael Crawley
User offline. Last seen 18 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Rashid

if you want to make project layouts like P3 layouts, set up the programme using an outline code structure in project.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Raschid,

Not knowing much about P3, I don’t know how you organise activities under an activity code. However, one way you might be able to do it in Microsoft Project is as follows:

1. Type in the name of your first activity code in the Task Name field.

2. Type the names of the activities associated with the activity code, one entry for each, under the activity code and set their durations.

3. When you have entered all the activities, click in the Task Name field for the first activity and drag the cursor down until all the activities are highlighted, then click the Indent arrow. All the activities will now be associated under the named activity code.

4. To enter the next activity code, type its name in the Task Name field, click on the outdent arrow, and repeat from step 2. It’s probably not perfect but it might work.

As for your query on resources, the only thing I can suggest is, Open the Help facility within MSP and query resources, once you get in there you might find a way to manipulate the resource graphs to display the information the way you want it.

Chris Oggham
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Rashid,

MS Project is different from P3.

In your situation, the best you can do is to start punching the keyboard and generate plans using MS Project as required.

MS Project is very easy to manipulate and dont expect MS project to generate information in the same level as P3.

Cheers,

Charlie
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia