Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Largest Project In MSP

12 replies [Last post]
Gary France
User offline. Last seen 16 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am interested to understand what is the largest project currently being planned using MSP.

If you are using MSP can you advise how "big" is your project. I am not concerned with how the size is quantified - I just want to get an idea of what large projects are using MSP.

Gary France
Chairman
Planning Engineers Organisation

Replies

Fannie CHOW
User offline. Last seen 5 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, all
Nice to meet you all here.
I felt painful to deal with numrous activities by MS Project. And I got the problem about conversion of MS project and P3.

I converted a programme from P3 to MS Project. However, the level of activities are changed and I have to check and establish them one by one, (do the one programme twice).

Anyone can share their experience and lighten me? Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Fannie
Will Russell
User offline. Last seen 11 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Who said anything about it being slow, it depends on what machine you’re using.
Syed Naguib
User offline. Last seen 10 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Well too big a file can really slow things down, try smaller sub files and use INSERT PROJECT, this way your files can be really "Big" without the memory slowing down.

Microsoft claims a I Million task ability, so far I’ve done up to 30k using 3 sub projects of about 10k each and the speed is quite fast.

Cheers!
Will Russell
Norzul,
There are just over 8,200 lines, 437 resources, 26 custom fields, 95 custom filters and 4 custom tables used in 8 custom views.
I have been running this plan for 3 years now so some of the fields and filters were used at specific times for different reasons and are probably less used now.
Will
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Will,

How many task in the file?

Thanks

norzul
Will Russell
My project file is 26Mb, every week or so I save it as a an Access Database file and then resave it back as a MSProject file this normally reduces the size by a couple of Mb and makes it somewhat quicker getting the filters and views up.
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
MSP files are occasionally subject to "file bloat".
It can be fixed by re-saving the file as another name, I think.
There is a newsgroup, microsoft.public.project that can be found at Google Groups
http://www.google.com/grphp
and also via a news account in Outlook Express and also at http://www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx

..where this topic is discussed.
John Hartman
User offline. Last seen 10 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Has anyone encountered file size issues with MSP. I don’t think # of lines/tasks is a good determinate, since MS states you can have up to 1M tasks. If you cost/resource load your schedule and include detail (many filters/view/tables/resources/calendars), the size of the file will increase dramatically.

I currently have a schedule in MSP with 1200 tasks and it’s approaching 15MB. Curious to know if anyone has encountered a similar situation.

Thanks
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Gary,

What i experienced was a large project using MSP. The project was a 5 level basement with one tower 64 storey high and the other tower 49 storey high. Generally both towers were design similar to the CITIBANK tower in Hong Kong. The company i worked with was Kumagai Gumi, same contractor as the CITIbank tower in Hong Kong. The place is in Jalan Sudirman, Jakarta, Indonesia. The project was not completed due to change in leadership sometimes in 1998. The total number of activities was 35,000 and maybe it might go on till 60,000 activities.

Regards

Charlie
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Gary France

I’d appreciate to know which are the intention of its research?

Kind regards

Marcio Eduardo
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
I had already work with a project with 7500 lines.

Kind regards
Will Russell
I’m the planning co-ordinator for the Diamond Light Source in Oxfordshire and the plan is currently at just over 8,000 lines, it covers specification, procurement, assembly and installation of most of the "machine".