Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progressing with MSP

4 replies [Last post]
Ronald Fisher
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hey guys. I am not a fan of MSP, but I am forced to use it. The problem I have is this. When progressing activities (not yet complete) the early finish date is calculated as being before the status date. What am I doing wrong, or is this a glitch in the software?

e.g. Actual start is 29/07. % Complete is 20%. Early finish is 13/11, and status date is 22/11

Anybody out there who can help, maybe persuade me that this software has any good uses.

Replies

Ronald Fisher
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Yeh, I agree with getting a real scheduling package, only in this case, it is the contractor who is utilising MSP, I am only verifying the progress.

It also seems that on has to make use of the task splitting facility in MSP, there is a thread with regards to this located elsewhere in PP.
Anyway, I since have corrected this and found the schedule to be roughly 27d negative, now, how am I to rid myself of this....

I wonder.
Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Ronald,

Make sure your status date is correct in the -->Project -->Project Information Form, in this case 22/11.

To schedule your activities you have to go to --> Tools --> Tracking --> Update Project -->Reschedule uncompleted work to start after 22/11.

I always have the tracking toolbar open. It is then very easy to reschedule/ progress single or a selection of tasks.

Remember to always put in actual start and finish dates. The easiest way is to open up a collumn or go to --> Views --> More Views and select the Task Details Form.

Get a real scheduling package.

Regards,

Erik Jonker
Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 52 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
It could have been worse, it could have been 30d negative.

But don’t worry, the contractor got himself in trouble - he can get himself out of trouble.

Regards,

Erik
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hi! Ronald,
Updating the Task with MSP is bit different than P3 that’s why you are facing this problem. In MSP there are two types of progress caculation and ie % complete and % work complete. Based on your requirement you can use either. % complete simple calculates based on duration for eg if you have a activity of 10 day duration if you put 1 day actual it will show 10% complete or if you say its 50% complete it will show up to half of the bar. The second one is based on your based on the efforts that is required to complete the task no matter how many days over, if you say a resource needed to work 10 days to complete the work and after 2 days of his actual working it will show 20% work completed. I hope this will help you a little bit to show your progress data.