Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How to incorporate operational interruptions ...

6 replies [Last post]
Billy Hui
User offline. Last seen 18 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
How to incorporate operational interruptions into construction scheduling ( MS Project and P3) ?

Operational interruptions means those prescheduled or probabilistic events such as holidays or breaks as set in resource/activity calendars (involving multiple resource calendars), equipment breakdowns (updating progressed schedule) or any environmental delays etc.

Best regards,

Billy Hui

Replies

Billy Hui
Erik,

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Billy.
Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Billy ,

If you have to mangage your whole project at such a level, MS-Project is not your answer. Try P3 or a package that processes resources in the same way.

See my other posting for P3 http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?Cat=2&Top=6990

Other wise use a spreadsheet to interface your critical critical resources.

You just can’t do something like this with MS-Projects.

Regards,

Erik
Billy Hui
A better version :

......would change to 7 days after scheduling. The following figure would show the situation. X means holiday and both resources will work 5 days to complete the activity.

oXXoooo Eng1
ooXXooo Eng2

o: task working or business day.

How can I get 8 days as a solution ?

oXX#oooo Eng1
o#XXoooo Eng2

#: Activity Y can not proceed without both Eng1 & Eng2 exist.
Billy Hui
Thanks for Erik’s reply.

Let’s further consider an example.

Activity Y is resource dependent and needs resources Eng1
and Eng2. And this activity needs 5 days to complete the
activity. Eng1 would not be available on day 2 & 3 and Eng2 would not be available on day 3 & 4. As a result, the original duration of the activity would change to 7 days after scheduling. The following figure would show the situation. X means holiday and both resources will work 5 days to complete the activity.

-XX---- Eng1
--XX--- Eng2

How can I get 8 days as a solution ?

-XX#---- Eng1
-#XX---- Eng2

#: Activity Y can not proceed without both Eng1 & Eng2 exist.
Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Billy,

For holidays/ Rain days use your calender.
If a breakdown is your whole plant, you can use your calender.

If an interuption is only specific to a activity/ group of activities, I do the following:

Create an activity describing the breakdown. Link it with a FF and a lag equal to the successor remaining duration.

This should clearly indicate the delays.

Cheers
Billy Hui
Maybe I ask in another way.

Would anyone give me some ideas on "Operational interruptions can be modeled using resource calendars or probability distributions for productive hours/day, depending on weather patterns" ?

Best regards,

Billy