Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Costing: Ms project 2000 sr-1

5 replies [Last post]
Mike Elsbree
User offline. Last seen 20 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I want to be able to have a budgeted cost, an actual cost, and the variance. I have been able to do this using baseline, total cost, and variance, but I need to be able to have this data on a task usage graph, that will spread the three across a timescale chart (by week). I would prefer not to have to deal with percentage complete.

I have removed the “actual costs are always figured by ms project” function, but I think that the problem is that I am possibly using the wrong fields for the information.

Any insight that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

Mike Elsbree
User offline. Last seen 20 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks,

I got what I was looking for by using “cost 1, 2, 3…” fields, and inputting excel type formulas for the data that I needed to acquire. This way, I did not need to input any resources or percentage complete.

Lastly, I need to change the list of available fields for the timescale aspect of the “task usage” view. Like I said I was able to get the information that I needed using “cost1, 2, 3 …” fields, but they are not available in the timescale chart.

Mike
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Mike,

I’m not really sure about your question but my answer is this.

Pull down view, then select task usage view. Then select the fields you want to see. You can change the timescale to weekly, monthly etc. Please note, you need to have assigned resources to task with unit rates in order for you to see the results.

Hope this would help.

Mohammed Muneeruddin
User offline. Last seen 5 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
HI FRIEND(S),

YOU ARE RIGHT, THE WORD I USED MAKE YOU MISUNDERSTAND, WHAT I MEANT IS TO REPLY IN THIS FORUM.

THANKS

MUNEER
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Mr. Mohammed Muneeruddin
The forum is a platform for sharing, if something raise a question or topic for discussion in this forum, we should encourage all to share their suggestions or points of view.

I, personnal, not support your recommendation "contact youself only". Hope your know how share with us. Thanks.
Mohammed Muneeruddin
User offline. Last seen 5 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
HI MIKE,

Are you interested to solve your problem by using another software. I am working as a Planning and cost control Engineer and i have switched over from P3 to CCS (construction computer software ) which i felt ideal for cost control purpose. If so do not hesitate to ask me.

Regards,

Muneer