Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSP2k

2 replies [Last post]
Kevin Walker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am experiencing a problem in "Total Slack" calculations for in-progress tasks in Project 2000. Project makes the early and late start dates equivalent to the actual start date of "in-progress" tasks. Project also resets the early and late finish to an equivalent value based on the duration of the task. The result of this phenomenon has two distinct manifestations: 1: An in-progress task has a correct TS value but incorrect Late dates, giving an idea of how bad the problem is (Total slack) but without giving the target completion required to correct the behind schedule condition ( i.e. late finish). 2: If an in-progress task is tied to another in-progress task then: -the first task will have TS of 0, and bad "late dates", and will not show up as a driver on the critical path - the second in-progress task will have correct TS, but will have incorrect "late dates" Anyone experienced this? Suggestions (Other than purchasing a real CPM tool) ?

Replies

Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi, May be this problem is similar to a problem that I have met in Primavera project Planner. the problem was: the Late Finish date is changed, from my Experience the Late finish date should not change because this is your limit. I discover after a while that this problem they have named it in primavera "Out of sequence problem". Out of sequence can be happen if you update the progress not according to the relation you give(linking the activities). How? If an activity A is a predessor of B and linked by a Finish-Start relation(F.S). And you update the Activity B(give actual date),before the Activity A Finish , you will find after sheduling that the Late finish has been changed ,inspite that it should be fixed. To solve this problem , you should update according to the relations given, other wise change the link to reflict the actual situation of the Project. Best Luck Ali -------------------------------
Kevin Walker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Additional investigation has led to the following observations: 1. Late dates and Total Slack (Total Float) calculate properly for activities that are "to-go". 2. Late Finish dates and TS calculate properly for in-progress tasks that are not "critical". 3. The "bad" dates and "bad" TS only show-up when the path hits a critical condition.