Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Open email links in same window.

3 replies [Last post]
Dave Crosby
User offline. Last seen 9 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
I’d like to suggest that you modify the email notification links. At the moment if there are 10 updates/responses to a topic you will get 10 emails and each email will open a new browser window/tab.

This could be changed so that if you click on any of those email links it open the same window/browser instance.

The HTML to do this is to add ...target="PP"... to your link. That way it will always use the window called "PP".

Replies

Dave Crosby
OK the Forum wont let me post HTML code as text. That makes it harder to show you the code.
I should have guessed.
I imagine if I PM you I’ll have the same problem.
If you want the code used in my previous message, PM me an email address and I’ll send you the code.

Cheers,

Dave.
Dave Crosby
The email that is sent is an HTML email that includes a link. Here is some of the code of the email sent to me:

The new message can be found at this location...

http://www.planningplanet.com/forum/forum_post.asp?Cat=3&Top=53391

The (for anchor) tag has various parameters. The ’href’ parameter tells it what URL to go to. Another optional parameter is called "target". This tells it where to display the result.
So let’s simplify our email link for clarity.
Let say we just had:
Click here to go to Planning Planet.
We could add the target parameter to make it replace anything that is already in the current browser with our new location:
We could also use a named frame-set just for Planning Planet like this:
The example above will open planning planet in the same frame-set every time. If the user doesn’t already have a frame-set called "PP" open then a new one will be created.

Hence if we were to change the forum link in the email from:

to:

Then when people click on the first email link in their In-box it will open a new browser window (frame-set actually). When they click on the next email link it will open it in the same browser window (frame-set actually).

I hope this clarifies things. Feel free to ask more questions if it does not.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Sounds like a good idea. However, our techie is stumped on this one (mind you it happens fairly often - just look at our site!).

Can you explain this in a little more detail please.

PP Admin Team