Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Retreiving Private Messages

34 replies [Last post]
Stuart Ness
User offline. Last seen 12 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can someone please tell me how I can retreive the messages that I have sent in reply to Personal Messages that I have received?

Thanx

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Daya,

We have just sent you a Private Message. Our to our "Outbox", i.e. the following web page...

http://www.planningplanet.com/members/member_welcome.asp?pmt=O

Now shows a "Closed Envelope" icon, indicating to us that you have not been to this page and opened the message. As and when (and if) you read it, the icon will change to an "Open Envelope"

We hope this helps. One issue with this is that as we now copy the message "content" direct to our email in-box’s we do not really need to go to the above web address to read the message!!

Regards.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
I could see the envelop(closed) in Grey Color only in the outbox, so the changes have not been done yet?.........
Forum Guest
Hi Team,

We have done a little work on the PM system. We have changed the scripts as follows...

In the InBox - the closed (purple) message envelope against each message shows that you have not read the new message.

In the Outbox - the closed (purple) message envelope shows that the recipient has not read your message.

While in both the Inbox and the Outbox, the "open" (yellow) envelope indicates that a message has been read.

I know we have some more to do. We hope this meets some of your needs.

Regards.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Hi PP Admin,

Is there any way to get notified that the Private Messages sent to the concerned PP’er has read the message?.

Regards

Daya
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
We are still waiting the modification in Private Message as we open any page of PP, if a Private message come, a message should come on our computer screen:

" A new private message has come"

"Click here"

Here in PP forum we have to return to member area or personal e-mail to see any private message.

I hope that PP admin will surely take appropriate steps for this modification.
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Suggest to add an address row at "Private Message To".
If we want to send a message to couple of PPers, we can select the PPers ID and post the message to them.

If not we got to do a duplication work by copy and paste the message whenever we forward to other PPers.

Regards.
Forum Guest
Consider it done

...soon!
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Bernard,

I think your suggestion to have the ability to forward messages is really good. Such a facility would be useful in a great many ways, so if PP Admin could action this with their usual efficiency that would be excellent.

Chris Oggham
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
We are receiving a copy of the private message (like message alert) to our email id indicating that someone has sent a private message to us in the pp website, in the same way if we receive a copy of the pp message that has been sent to other pp’ers by us in our email id, we don’t need to bother about 90days deletion period set for the private message in the planning planet website. i hope pp admin will look into this matter and to implement the system .............
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Perhaps it would helpful to add the ability to forward any private message (whether inbox or outbox) to your own e-mail address?

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems - eTaskMaker Project Planning Software
Stuart Ness
Hi Jason,

Many thanx for the bit of "tweaking" that allows us to see our out-going messages!

Not to sure, however, about me being automatically deleted when I reach 90 in age....;-)

Thanx again

Stuart
Forum Guest
Hello PPers,

We have tweaked the Private Message code so that we have a link to select an inbox, or an outbox of private messages.

There are two things to consider and be aware of here...

1. Currently, messages get automatically deleted when they exceed 90 days in age.

2. Currently, messages will disappear from your outbox when the recipient deletes them from his / her inbox.

The above points need to be understood. In time, it may become apparent that this needs amending.

I trust this improvement meets with your needs.

Regards...PP Admin
Forum Guest
Hi there,

I will speak with the "right-man" today and see if I can convince him to get this sorted today / tomorrow.

This is obviously an important issue.

Thanks you for your suggestion.

Jason
PP Admin
Stuart Ness
Guys,

I don’t want to sound like a boring old fart, BUT......

I still have no way of easily accessing my outgoing posts under the PP Message system. Yes, I can (and do) keep the original drafts in Word, but it would be easier to have an outbox here....so if anyone receives a PP Private message from me, I just hope that I have sent the correct one to you!!

Dazed and confused!! ;-)

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Hello Jimmy,

I think you are also free now. Any way thanks for your complements.

Cheers!!!

Daya

Jimmy robert
User offline. Last seen 18 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
[moderator edit]Jimmy, please review item #2 of the Forum Rules and Guidelines[/moderator edit]
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
still the outbox issue is outstanding................
Chris Oggham
I think Vishwas is correct, and the retention time for old messages can be reduced to 45 days. Inbox and Outbox would be very useful.

Chris Oggham
Vishwas Bindigana...
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
90 days is fine. But, I think you can reduce it to 30 or 45 days.

An ’Inbox’ and an ’Outbox’ would be really helpful. It can help monitor and manage our posts/replies well.
Forum Guest
Blimey, you guys are demanding.

I will speak with James today and get him on the case.

You need an "Inbox" and an "Outbox".

How long do you think PP should keep old messages for before they are automatically deleted? I seem to remember seeing that they would be deleted after 90 days???

PP Admin
Chris Oggham
Stuart,

Thanks for reminding everybody about this. I confess I’d forgotten it completely.

Chris Oggham
Stuart Ness
Well, I haven’t...... ;-)
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Admin might have forgotten this issue.............
Stuart Ness
It’s been a couple of months since I raised the subject of being unable to retrieve messages that have been sent out using the Private Message system, and shortly thereafter Admin confirmed that such an arrangement would be a simple thing to implement.

So why has it still not been implemented??

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Chris Oggham
PP Admin,

I agree with Daya, an outbox is desirable. I don’t think there is any need to revert to text, since the existing icons have alt tags which indicate what they are for. All the icons should, however, be grouped together rather than being dispersed as someone suggested.

Chris Oggham
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
A seperate Icon should be developed or add on in our personal profile for ease to retreive the message individually.

That is the simplest solution.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear PP Admin,

Yes, you can add outbox(sent folder), the purpose is to retreive the message what we have sent to other pp member.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Daya
Forum Guest
Hi there,

Are we correct in assuming that you guys need a link on the PM section to show either "Inbox", i.e. incoming messages and "Outbox", i.e. out sent messages?

This is a simple thing to implement as it is simply a different way of looking at the same data-table.

Would it help to implement?

The messages here also indicate that the use / intent of the 3 little icons is not as clear as it could be. Perhaps we should rever back to using words, i.e. Read | Reply | Delete etc?

PP Admin.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Hi Philip,

I can’t get your point of history log as that of in chat room, pls explain how you are relating this one with our problem of not having "sent" items or retrieval of reply / sent items?

Regards

Daya
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Stuart,

I get your drift, what is needed is a history log, such as those you get in chat rooms. I do not think it is available here, but the ppadmin is the people who will know.

Regards

Philip
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Stuart, Please refer my previous posting......... Quote: RE: New improvement- PM ALERT Dear PP Admin, If you are revising your script as per Bernard’s suggestion, then please take note of including/adding a "sent" link along with read/reply/delete links, so that it would be useful to refer what has been sent as Private messages..... Regards Daya UnQuote: I hope Admin can make a change now. Cheers!!! Daya
Stuart Ness
Hi Philip,
Yes, I am aware of the 3 icons for reading, righting and rubbishing, but I am looking for retreiving.
Daya seems to agree with me - in which case there must be a problem! ;-)

Stuart

www.rosmartin.com
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
but there is no option given in the private messages to retrieve what we have sent earlier to a member in order to recall the message; i mean there is no provision for "sent folder". I hope i understand what Stuart wants to know................. PP Admin has to take action.(Note: I’ve requested the same to admin to provide the option for sent folder, just along with read/delete etc........)
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Stuart,

It took my a little whille to figure this out. If you look to the right of the message notification, there are three little icons, a magnifying glass, a memo and a dustbin. The magnifying glass is for reading your mail, the memo for replying, and the dustbin for deleting.
Regards

Philip