Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Impacted As Planned (totally ignore as-built dates for completed activities/delay events)?

6 replies [Last post]
Dj Tron
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, I have the ffg. questions if I'm using a impacted as planned technique for my original approved baseline (no progress yet). My project is 60% complete to date but I don't have any good as-built records/monthly progress update. PLEASE REFER TO THE LINK https://imgur.com/a/qdNKugA FOR ILLUSTRATIONS 
  • Q1. Can i use my original approved baseline (no progress yet) and totally ignore as-built data/links for other activities before and after the delay event by using planned dates/durations? As I've said, I have no good as-built records.
  • Q2. If yes, does the delay event needs to be in the exact time on when it really happened or just insert it?
  • Q3. In the as-built record, the Contractor worked for 4 months intermittently for additional work but it is found out that they are slow and if they did it continuously, they will only spend 2 months. So only 2 months delay should be inserted or 2 month culpable + 2 months excusable?
  • Q4. Can I use compute the delay event using standard rates for completed additional work and ignore as-built record. In Item 3, by using standard rates it could either be 1 month or 6 months, let's say 1 month.
  • Q5. In Item 4, can I use this computation using standard production rates for future delay events?
  • Q6. If there an instruction to add/remove work from the original scope of work, should I add/remove them in the original approved baseline or in the impacted programme? I have no time now to ask the Contractor to revised the original approved baseline to incorporate such works.
Thank you.Regards,Dj

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi DJ

You can always find As Built records somewhere.

Do you have access to any of the following:

QA/QC records-Permit to work-Core Test records-site diaries-valuations-delivery notes-

If you genuinely don't have anything then you are truly stuffed.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Dj,

After insertion of New Activities and constraining the start date of impact run the schedule in order to determine the new completion date.

Dj Tron
Hi Raymund, these are the steps I did: 1. Insert a valid excusable/culpable delay event to the first original approved programme. 2. Write the no. Of days impact on key dates in culpable and excusable columns. 3. Insert other valid events chronoligacally one by one and tepeat steo 2 per inserted dealy event. 4. Sum up each the culpable column, this will be the eot and add this to original key date and this will be the eot date.
Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Dj, Use the as planned. There are always an argument pertaining to claims. Good reasoning will be an advantage. Regards.
Dj Tron
Hi Thanks Mike, what if my project doesnt have any good as built records.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi DJ - Welcome to Planning Planet.

You are wasting your time if you submit an impacted as planned analysis without any reference to what actually happened.

Even a Time Impact Analysis is entirely theoretical and of little use.

Concentrate on facts and the application of common sense to tell your story. Keep well away from any mention of a critical path.

Best regards

Mike Testro