Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Material Submittal Delay

2 replies [Last post]
Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I have the following scenario of delay due to the late material submission by the Contractor.

Material Submittal: 30 days

Approval by Engineer: 21 days

Material Procurement: 5 months

Construction & Commissioning: 3 months

The above are the planned logic.

But in actual, the Contractor submitted the material late by 2 months (from a non qualified supplier) and the Client rejected it. After 1 month, the Contractor informed the Client that no supplier is available in the market to deliver the material as per the Contract specification. Considering the above the Client requested for a revised proposal from the Contractor. Finally the Contractor instructed the Client to go ahead with the new proposal.

Later the Contractor submitted the Claim for delay because of the delay in the material procurement and the instruction from the Client to go with the revised proposal.

If I am with the Client, my point of view will be as follows.

The Contractor signed the Contract by reading all the specs for the materials. The Contractor delayed the submission by 2 months and further 1 more month. If the Contractor notified about the non availability of material in the market on time, the reponse (for revised proposal) could be issued earlier to remove the event from the Critical Path.

Best Regards

Kannan

Replies

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 20 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thanks for reply..Mike

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Kannan

On the face of it I would agree with your summary.

The extent of the actual delay however depends on the amount of total float available and whether the 5 months procurement can be accelerated.

Best regards

Mike Testro