Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

28 days period

1 reply [Last post]
Ahmed Elkordy
User offline. Last seen 12 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all

Please correct me..I understand that according to fidic a notice of claim should be issued within 28 days from the event. And the claim is to be sent any time after that??

Well the issue at hand here is that we are a subcontractor. In the client/main contractor contract, it is mentioned otherwise. It says that a claim is to be sent within 28 days from the event.

In the main contractor/subcontractor contract (ours), nothing regarding claim is mentioned.

The question at hand is, should we stick with fidic, client/contractor contract, or contractor/subcontractor contract(i.e. no time limit or constraints for claim submission)?

Also, in another case, what if the delay is caused by main contractor not employer?

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ahmed,

You have two running Contracts here. You are responsible for one, and very much affected by the other.

Depending on your experience and the experience of your main Contractor, you need to make sure that the Main Contractor is reporting all his delays in a timely manner withing 28 days from the start of the event, and reporting the detailed cost within 42 days (or as approved by the Engineer). Basically, the Main Contractor should have enough support and good record keeping to complete the FIDIC requirements.

On the other hand, you have your own Contract and you need to make sure that you read all the clauses carefully and check how it allows you to submit claims and get approval from the Main Contractor.

Best Regards,

Samer