Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time at Large

35 replies [Last post]
Uri Shachar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Colleagues,

Anybody had experience with the argument "time is at large"???

In Australia, the provision "time can not be set at large" was part of the most popular form of Contract (AS 2124) However, this provision was later removed (not part of AS 4000 etc.). I guess this argument stopped being utilised by Contractors in disputes. Any comments?

Thanx.

Replies

Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
David,

You have my views, unfortunately there’s not alot written specificaly on the subject and KP’s paper is a fairly short up to date round up of the principles involved.
Andrew Flowerdew
Anders,

Been running along time, maybe we should start a new one about other / possibly better ways to deal with the absense of an CA’s decision on an EoT.
David Barry
User offline. Last seen 17 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hey Andrew & Anders

With all due respect to the prolific Keith P, I don’t think replies which refer simply to his papers / books really meet the spirit of a forum debate.

Perhaps we might have your views, not his?!

David

www.preceptpm.co.uk
Anders Axelson
User offline. Last seen 3 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
I think this thread is starting to get somewhat off-topic!
Andrew Flowerdew
Anders,

Hows life under the new command?
Anders Axelson
Or even better, read Keith’s book, the latest edition of which is now in print and available from all good construction bookstores!
Andrew Flowerdew
David,

Have a read of Keiths paper.
David Barry
Andrew,
I never said T.A.L doesn’t exist - it absolutely does!
I just don’t accept the suggestion that T.A.L. gets triggered by the inaction of the CA in assessing / awarding EOT’s.
David

www.preceptpm.co.uk

Andrew Flowerdew
All,

We could change the debate from "does it exist" to " is there a better way of dealing with the problem?
Oscar Wilde
User offline. Last seen 16 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Over to you Charlie
Time at large is not some contract clause invented by Australians any thoughts?
Oscar
Andrew Flowerdew
David,

Another way of looking at the problem is what would be the situation if the courts hadn’t come up with the concept of time at large? For example, due to Employer delays the Contractor it is actually impossible to finish on time - ever seen the wording "so far as it is legally or physically impossible" that is in most standard forms. The wording comes from the legal doctrine of frustration.

Therefore if it becomes impossible to carry out his obligations under the contract does the Contractor claim the contract is frustrated by the Employer and tries to excercise his right to terminate the contract - leaving the job half built!!!! Not a very satisfactory outcome. (Whether the Contractor would be successfull is another matter but what a mess it could lead to)

There are other equally worrying outcomes that could be brought into play therefore the concept of "time at large" protects both the Contractor and Employer and gets the project built.

I have seen a number of suggestions how the situation should be dealt differently from the way it is, eg it is a "temporary discontinuity" (another SCL paper) which isn’t such a bad idea. But until the law changes we are stuck with what we’ve got.

So if you don’t think time at large exists, I’d think very carefully of the consequences of trying to do without it. The courts didn’t dream it up for nothing.
Andrew Flowerdew
For anyone interested, Kieths paper can be downloaded from

http://www.scl.org.uk/

Look down centre section for NEW PAPERS
Andrew Flowerdew
David,

No, you are 100% correct that at some point by litigation, aritration, adjudication ,etc the EoT will be settled and the completion date reinstated by these means.

What is the status until then? - ie, between the Contractor applying for his EoT, the Engineer not making a decision and the dispute being eventually resolved at some future point.

Time may be at large during this period depending on the circumstances. It also invites other questions such as what does the contractor work to in this period? - the original completion date which he can not hit or is "working with due diligence or similar" enough. Could having to work to the original completion date in the absense of an EoT decision be taken as an instruction for constructive acceleration? Is the Engineer in breach of his obligations and if so, to whom? and the list goes on.

Deciding time is at large in this period is a convienient way of saying - until it’s resolved, the contractor must get on with the job without undue delay and the Employer can not charge liquidated damages.

The circumstances leading to this position are actually well outlined in Keith Pickervances paper.
David Barry
Andrew,

I’ve enjoyed the debate between you and Anders, and you’ve both made your points well. However, I must agree that a failure of the CA to exercise its EOT assesssment and award responsibilities would not in principle set Time At Large.

Assuming that the contract provides for an EOT to be granted for the complained-of delay event, the remedy for such inaction on the CA’s part would be through the particular contract’s dispute resolution clauses. Whether it be through Adjudication, Conciliation, Arbitration, etc. the (justifiably due) EOT will simply and surely be awarded. The decision maker (adjudicator/judge/etc.) would surely not determine the contract was AT Large, rather he/she would sensibly and reasonably award the EOT!

Obviously, the key words above are ’in principle’ - one can of course imagine some ’thermo-nuclear’ circumstances where the CA’s inaction has so dramatically affected the manner in which the contractor goes about progressing the works, that time might be set at large - however this would be a remote possibility IMHO.

That’s my 2 cents!

David

www.preceptpm.co.uk

Andrew Flowerdew
Charleston,

Time at large is a legal concept and does not need a contract clause as such.

It arrises out of the circumstances of the project, not the contract itself.

Austrailian law over the last few years, now it no longer refers to the Privy Council, is slowly taking it’s own route in the world. (although even today both often refer to each other laws as thier history and development are so intertwined) eg Austrailian courts refused to follow a cornerstone of negligence, Anns v Merton, which then precipitated a similar decision in the UK.

All that time at large really does (but not totally all), in the absense of a completion date, is protect the contractor from liquidated damages until a proper assesment is made of an EoT.

Andrew Flowerdew
Anders,

I’ve read your posting and come to the conclusion that you’ve lost the plot and are just trying to dig yourself out of a hole - sources of law as I’ve quoted are where the courts look to acertain what the law is. As I said, not my opinion, but legal fact and procedure, as simple as that.

Time at large will start at case law (precedent) as it is based in contract law and the common law interpretion. There has been more than enough case law on this subject such that I don’t think the courts will readily have to refer to textbooks to discover the answer except in exceptional circumstances.

You are right by the way that even Keiths paper is only his opinion and not actual law, although I believe it states what is generally accepted as the present positon of the law, at least as regards the causes of time at large. I would not accept without question one or two other points raised in his paper.

To quote your last posting - "Hudson leaves no doubt where it stands" - great, that’s Hudsons opinion but it is not the law of the land and as I’ve stated before, until accepted by a court it will never be the law of the land. It’s an opinion, no more, no less. Hudson may have got it spot on right, read "Cheshire, Fifoot & Furmston" or "Beale, Bishop and Furmston" on contract law and they may or may not express the same opinion - all equal in every way to Hudson in thier standing as textbooks on contract law. Read Chitty - generally considered the lawyers bible on contract law, which I would suggest actually outranks all the above and you will find refered to in cases alot more than Hudson. Any of which (and there are others I could mention) may be refered to in a case but it still doesn’t make any of thier opinions law - just opinions and until thier opinions are accepted by a court, it remains an opinion, however you look at it.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Everyone,

Please refer to the original posting of Uri.

The Australian have this provision of the contract (time at large) and later on it was not part of the basic contract.

It is very important to know at what point in time did the Aussie remove this clause (time at large) in the basic contract. In the absence of clear answer, we can surmise that previously the impact of planning software like Primavera (related to finish date) was not incorporated in the contract. As a consequence, the Aussie find it hard to do manual calculation in computing finish dates considering the dynamics of construction project. Eventually, the planning software companies marketed their products and convice the Aussie that the Clause "time at large" is now irrelevant.

As a consequence a lot of people with planning skills immigrated to Australia and convince the Australian that contract finish dates can be reasonable assess, so no need for the clause "time at large".

So the discussion about Time at large is only an academic exercise.

IMHO,

Charlie
Anders Axelson
Andrew,

I really don’t see anything in the Pickavance/ MacLaughlin paper that addresses in specific terms the question of whether or not a failure of the CA to exercise his power to grant an EOT within a “reasonable” time will set time at large. Nor, in any event, and notwithstanding the very great eminence of its authorship, can it really be taken as an absolutely authoritative statement of English law that completely lays to rest any further debate on this point!!

What is at issue here is contractual interpretation. In particular, it is the interpretation that courts can be expected to give to the extension of time provisions that typically appear in building and engineering contracts, in the absence of express wording about how they should be interpreted. European directives, statutes, the Royal Prerogative, Law Commission Reports, delegated legislation and so on will not, unfortunately, help you in this regard!!

Case law does provide a starting point: indeed, the couple of UK cases have touched on this matter are: (1) Miller v. London City Council (1923) and (2) Amalgamated Building Contractors Ltd v. Waltham Holy Cross UDC (1950). However, as those cases concerned interpretations of uniquely worded (and old) contracts, and, in any event, suggest contradictory conclusions, they require a great deal of further interpretation to be of any use. Case law alone, then, does not get you to the definite answer you are looking for. That is where authorities such as Hudson are useful, both to judges and to others seeking to ascertain which way the law falls.

Hudson, furthermore, leaves no doubt about where it stands on this issue (see my previous posting). This is not just a fanciful opinion – it is clearly a commentary of unparalleled eminence that arises from a reasoned and thorough consideration of the many nuances of precedent, principle and policy, that combine together to determine precisely what the law is.

Regards

Anders.
Andrew Flowerdew
Anders,

Nearly forgot, second paragraph of the introduction of Keiths paper, quote:

However, if, for the reasons within the employer’s control, the contractor is prevented from completing by the date of completion and there is no right to extend time for performance (OR IT IS NOT PROPERLY EXTENDED) the employer can no longer insist upon the completion date. It............ Time is then said to be ’at large’ as a result.......

page 2:Reasons foer time to be at large: (4 in all)

Engineers decision

(i) has been wrongfully excercised
(ii) has not been excercised at all:

There will come a time, either by reference to the contract or the legal reasonableness test where if the employer has not determined an EoT then it will be held as (ii) has not been excercised at all: He can’t go on for ever and what is reasonable is a matter of fact.
Andrew Flowerdew
Andres,

It is very rare that any text is allowed in consideration in an English court no matter who has written it. It is a secondary source of law at best and therefore near the bottom of the list of authorities that a court will refer to in making a decision, although it sometimes happens on rare occasions. Textbooks are most likely to be used where the law under consideration is unclear or in an area of new developmewnt of law.

Time at large is niether of these and the most likely way Hudson’s suggestion will ever be considered is if someone to take on board the suggestion and argues it in court.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is not my opinion but legal fact:

The Primary sources of law are in order of importance: (sources of law, ie actual law, as opposed to opinions)

European law (directives), Parliment (statute), Royal perogative, Delegated legislation and then Case law (precedent)

The secondary sources of law are in order of importance:

Case law from non binding court, textbooks, reports or documents eg Law Commission Report, Reports of Parlimentary procedure, custom.

So as you see, Hudson’s book is along way off even getting near persuasive except in exceptional circumstances.
Anders Axelson
Andrew,

I think you are missing the point. I don’t think the SCL paper to which you refer suggests anywhere that time will become at large if the CA doesn’t grant an EOT within a “reasonable” time.

As to Hudson, although it is obviously opinionated, there can be no doubt that the opinions it carries are highly authoritative: if any textbook can purport to provide a definitive account of English construction law, it is this.

In fact, to the contrary (and to get a bit off-topic) it is really quite remarkable just how authoritative within the world of construction law, Hudson, and articles by its editor, Ian Duncan Wallace, are. Time and time again, it seems to me, judges in superior courts are persuaded to go with the views of Hudson or IDW on an issue. (See e.g. the House of Lords decision in the 1998 Beaufort Developments case to overturn Crouch, the Australian decision in Peninsula Balmain expressing disapproval of Gaymark, the Court of Appeal decision in Boot v. Alstom earlier this year where IDW/Hudson were relied upon by both sides in their submissions etc. ad nauseum). In fact, I don’t think it would be an exaggeration to say that, in the world of English construction law, Hudson has almost as persuasive (if not binding) an effect as a decision of the Court of Appeal would!

Regards

Anders.
Andrew Flowerdew
Andres,

Better go and tell the judges they’re wrong then - and ask your boss who has just published a good paper on the exact same subject titled:

"Alittle of Time at Large: Proof of a reasonable time to complete in the absense of a completion date" published by Kieth Pickervance and Wendy MacLaughlin through the Construction Law Society - there he gives many reasons why time becomes at large. You can tell him it’s a good read as well.

A classic case of reading one book and one authors thoughts on the subject. If you want to read something more authoritive on contract go and get "Contract Law" by Chitty (about £300) or similar where you will read what the law is, not what someone thinks it should be. No disrespect to Hudson as they are generally very good books but in alot of such books you will find opinions as to what the law is or where they think it is going, and that does not always equate to what the actual law is at this point in time.

As your posting says "There is no reason..... there no longer seems....." - opinions but not at present fact. Maybe someone will put the case forward one day as suggested and if successful then it may become fact - but until someone does, it isn’t.
Anders Axelson
Andrew,

As to your assertion that “time is at large if the CA does not carry out his duty and reinstate the contract completion after an application for an EOT within a reasonable timescale”, I can assure you that you are wrong – at least insofar as English law is concerned.

This is well expressed in Hudson’s Building and Engineering Contracts (11th edn), which, at page 1189 says:

“There is no reason, either in legal principle or on consensual interpretive grounds, for construing an express or implied obligation in a construction contract to grant an extension within a stipulated or a reasonable time.”

Hudson then goes on to say, interestingly:

“Given the … attitudes at the present day to liquidated damages provisions and… having regard to the obvious advantages to contractors of deferred decisions on extension of time [i.e. for cashflow reasons]… there no longer seems any sufficient reason, it is submitted, for according the contractor any remedy other than a right to damages, if provable, in the event of an extension of time decision being unnecessarily or unreasonably delayed in breach of contract”.

So, even if there is such an obligation in the contract that is breached, time will still not be at large: the contractor’s recourse will lie in claiming back the loss and expense it occurs; the date for completion will be unaffected.

Regards

Anders Axelson
Pickavance Consulting
Peter Lomax
User offline. Last seen 18 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
All,

Generally speaking I believe Andrew is correct although there are exceptions to every rule. LD’s cannot be levied but the contractor is will still be liable for general damages for delay - but the Employer will have to argue the case as to what date these can be charged from as the completion date is not set ie, ’at large’.

Moral of the story with EOT’s is to deal with them promptly, make a decision as to the new completion date (or sectional) so that everyone know’s where they are going, even if the parties at the time can’t agree the extent of the EOT.
Andrew Flowerdew
Anders,

Agree with what you have said but I can assure you that time is at large if the CA does not carry out his duty and reinstate the contract completion after an application for an EOT within a reasonable timescale or that stated in the contract. He will also lose the Employers right to charge liquidated damages until such time as the completion date is re-established.

In I think all standard form contract this protection to the Employers right to charge LD’s and the contractors right not to be charged LD’s by having the completion date moved and re-established is the only reason the EOT clause exist. Damages, if any, owed to the contractor or others do not acrue from the EOT clause itself but from under some other clause in the contract.

After the contractor makes a claim for an EOT the completion date is ’at large’ until re-established by the CA’s decision. To enforce the original date without a decision on the EOT claim would be in breach of contract as it is against the protection the EOT clause gives the contractor, as would be charging LD’s.

Therfore, strictly speaking I should say that the CA’s failure to give a decision does not put time at large but leaves it at large.

Anyone else got any views?

Anders Axelson

Andrew,

I agree with your paragraph 1. It would be unusual (if not impossible) for a contractor to be in breach of an obligation to complete the works within a reasonable time without first being in breach of an obligation to progress the works at an acceptable rate (of the sorts you mention). The acceptable rate obligation, however, is altogether separate from the reasonable time obligation.

As to your paragraph 2, I don’t see how you can assume that an application for EOT followed by a failure to act by the CA, however, will automatically set time at large. This is so even if the contract provides a specified timeframe within which the CA must respond. In such circumstances I would argue the contractor will still be under an obligation to complete by a particular date. The date for completion will be the same as it would have been had the CA explicitly rejected the contractor’s claim for EOT. If the employer (through its agent in the CA) is in breach of its contractual obligations to give a response to the contractor’s EOT application within a certain timescale, then, if the contractor can prove the damages it has suffered from the CA’s breach, it will be entitled to them from the employer. But that will not frustrate the EOT mechanism sufficiently to set time at large.

When I talk about the contract “readjusting itself” I mean adjusting the liquidated damages payable to account for the delays to completion caused by acts of prevention – by way of an EOT mechanism. I don’t think time being set at large happens very frequently (although it may be not infrequently claimed by contractors). I think the most commonplace example would be where parties enter into a contract where the employer has (misguidedly) sought to place the time risks for its own acts of prevention onto the contractor. Any employer acts of prevention will then frustrate the EOT mechanism and so the prevention principle will kick in, thus setting time at large.

Regards

Anders Axelson
Pickavance Consulting
Amr Elserafy
User offline. Last seen 10 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Hi ALL,

thanks for the clarifications you made that was very useful.
It is my first time to contribute in such discussions.
But i hope i will do more effectively in the future.

Best Regards

Amr
Andrew Flowerdew
Anders,

You are correct in your assumptions that if the contract states no completion date then time will be ’at large’ as the only contractors obligation is to complete in a reasonable time. However the contractor will usually still be under an contractual obligation to progress the works at an "acceptable rate" - eg JCT98 "regularly and diligently" or ICE 7th "with due expedition and without delay". Failure to do so will hold the contractor in breach of contract even if no completion date exists.

Your second example is a breach of contract of the common law implied term of ’employer co-operation and non hinderance’ - a breach which will allow the contractor to recover damages. At common law, the contractors obligation to complete the works by the specified completion date is removed if the employer delays the contractor in the execution of the works. Therefore, if delayed or impeded the contractor applies for an EOT. If the CA fails to act, time is put ’at large’. Time is not put at large if the CA awards an EOT that the contractor does not agree with. The decision and completion date stands until revised or overturned at a later date. If agreement can not be reached, then what ever contractual dispute resolution procedure is stated in the contract may be used - ie ajudication, arbitration, etc.

Your example therefore does not put time ’at large’ unless the contractor applies for an EOT and the CA fails to act. If the contract "can not readjust itself", (not quite sure what you mean by this statement but I’ll assume you mean there is no EOT provision, which is very unusual) then the contractor can claim damages under common law for breach of an implied term of contract and apply for a subsequent EOT. If the contractor does not apply for an EOT then the original completion date still stands as no application has been made to alter it - therefore time is not ’at alarge’ in this instance.

To summarise, assuming a completion date is stated in the contract, time can not be put ’at large’ until someone ie the contractor, applies to alter it. Until this happens, the date stands. If a new date is set, time is no longer ’at large’, or if no EOT application is made, this date stands until revised or overturned at a later date and again time is not ’at large’. Therefore time will normally only become ’at large’ by the CA not ruling on an EOT application within a reasonable timescale.
Anders Axelson
Hello all,

I think the first posting of J. Daniel is on the right track. Broadly, I would say time essentially gets set at large (which is to say that the contractor is required to complete in a “reasonable time” rather than by any particular date) in two circumstances:

(1) by default, where there is no specific date for completion in the contract;

(2) where the employer impedes the contractor from performing its obligations (an “act of prevention”) and the contract is unable to readjust itself by giving the contractor extra time to compensate for this.

If the contract cannot readjust itself properly to compensate the contractor, the “prevention principle” will kick in and trigger time at large. This principle essentially means that the employer cannot have its cake and eat it – both impede or prevent the contractor’s progress on the critical path AND deduct liquidated damages if the contractor fails to meet the set date.

I would argue that under most standard form contracts a mere failure of the contract administrator to give a proper EOT will not in itself, as Andrew’s posting suggests, set time at large. This is because there the contractor can simply rectify that situation by going to say, arbitration or adjudication and getting (at least in theory) the EOT it deserves. Time at large occurs when there is a failure of the contractual machinery – not a failure of the contract administrator to operate that machinery.

Contractors claim time is at large to exonerate them from having to pay the employer liquidated damages for late completion. I don’t think it would ever be in an employer’s interests to argue that time is at large, instead of a specific date for completion. Also, as it stems from the employer’s right to liquidated damages from the contractor, it will only in practice ever be the actions of the employer that set time at large – not the contractor.

Regards

Anders Axelson
Pickavance Consulting
Andrew Flowerdew
Hi all,
Daniel is correct in the options available but the bottom line is that time will normally become ’at large’ due to the CA not making an assessment and decision on an EOT claim. The contract in this case has no defined completion date and therefore the contractor only has the obligation to complete in a reasonable time. As there is no definitive completion date the Employer can not apply liquidated damages as there is no completion date to calculate them from.
Even if the EOT can not be accurately forecast the CA can do an interim assessment to re-establish the completion date. One word of warning, once given it is very difficult to take back or reduce the EOT given. The interim assessment as the name suggests, can be reviewed and extended if required at a later date. An assessment and decision should be made both so that the contractor knows what date he is working to and the Employers right to liquidated damages is not lost.
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

The issue of "time at large" and the release of EOT are subjects of debates between Contract Admin. We can state herewith the following:
1- If Delay is caused mainly by the Employer and contract cannot be completed on time. In this case, the Contractor will issue a request for EOT and the Employer has 3 options:
1.a: Assess the request and release an interim determination of EOT with consultation with the different Parties. In this case, the Contractor will be relieved from Liquidated Damages and can get the advantage of claiming the overhead cost of extension.
1.b: He will instruct the Contractor to revise his schedule and give a projected reasonable new date of completion. In this case, the Employer ,after reviewing the rev. sch., will take the proper decision (he can even study the possibility of partial occupancy). Some Contractors will not accept to revise the schedule unless an EOT is released and blames the Engineer/Employer in putting him in a status of quandary not able to restructure his works appropriately.
1.c: He leaves the situation floating intentionaly without giving any EOT or even an interim determination. In this case, the Project will finish as long as it takes without limitation. In this case, the Employer will defend his situation (delays) and threaten the Contrcator of applying LD to initiate him for completing as soon as possible. A final settlement will be done after completion of the works where usually it will be to the benefit of the Employer: the Contractor will not claim for the overhead during the prolonged period and the Employer will not apply LD.
2- If Delay is caused mainly by the Contractor and contract cannot be completed on time. In this case, the Employer has the following options:
2.a: to threaten to apply LD but never applied it before completion of Contractor’s works as the immediate application of LD before the end of the Contract will demotivate the Contrcator.
2.b: to instruct the Contractor to revise the schedule and project an accelerated new end date. In this stage, the Contractor will do his best to partial deliver the Project and make the Employer occupy sections of the Project (in order to reduce LD as much as he can).
2.c: to leave the Contractor complete the remaining works and decide what to do later at the completion of work.

Regards,
J. Daniel
Xavier HEURTAUX
User offline. Last seen 12 years 1 day ago. Offline
I read with a lot of interest what is said about the "time at large". I have done a bit of research and also tried to get a bit of advise on this subject. But I am still wondering. Everytime, it is mentionned that time may become at large due to a failure (access, contract administration...) of the Employer.
Can the Employer attempt to claim that the time has become at large because of the Contractor? If so, what could be the advantages/consequences for the Employer to do so? and for the Contractor?
Andrew Flowerdew
Uri,

Time becomes ’at large’ if the contract administrator fails to rule on an EOT entitlement (either by not ruling at all or by default, eg by not ruling in time allowed by contract) and therefore does not set a new completion date, even if his ruling is that no EOT is allowed and the completion date remains the same. This applies where to any contract, express EOT conditions or not.
Uri Shachar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Daniel,

Thanks for your answer. You’ve refered to a ’clear cut’ situation, where there are no EOT clauses in the Contract.

However, my inquiry relates to the grey area of ’when the original timeframe is no longer relevant’ i.e. where there are major changes to the Works rendering the Contract Programme impractical. Can then time be set ’at large’?
Jihad Daniel
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Uri,

Time becomes "at large" where the Employer causes a delay to the progress of the works and there is no provision in the contract to grant an extension of time for that delay. The effect of time being at large is that the Employer loses the right to liquidated damages and the Contractor’s obligation is only to complete the works within a reasonable time.
In recent contracts, there is always provision for interim and final determinations of extension of time after consultation between the Contractor, Engineer and Employer. The item of "time at large" is not specifically written in recent contracts as both the Engineer and Employer know that there is always a possibility of time to be extended due to changes or factors beyond the Contractor’s control and the "reasonable time" is to be projected by the Contractor’s Planner which will be assessed and if acceptable by Engineer/Employer can be determined as the extended time for completion. In all cases, it is preferable that the Contractor notified the Engineer/Employer of delays to be occured caused by changes, variations, etc. pursuant to clause of the Contract but alos an official letter reserving Contractor’s rights to claim for extension of time or a "Notification of POssible Delay" form could be sufficient and considered as a formal notice.

Hope the above answers your query.

Regards,
J. Daniel