Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Survey: Time Schedule updates - Time Schedule Tool or 4D BIM integrator tool?

6 replies [Last post]
António Faria
User offline. Last seen 8 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

After importing a time schedule to a BIM tool (such as Navisworks or Synchro) to produce a 4D BIM project, :

a) do you perform all the time schedule updates (follow-up) in the BIM tool exclusively? or

b) do you perform all the time schedule updates (follow-up) in the time schedule tool (Microsoft Project or Oracle Primavera) and afterwards you import again the time schedule to the BIM tool (2 steps update)?

All your opinions or experience are welcome.

Thanks

Replies

Tamara Sutton
User offline. Last seen 8 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Option B.  We have tried VICO and Synchro for 4D scheduling, but neither of them have the functionality we "require" to manage projects on a daily basis.

António Faria

Hi Ben,

I'm not discussing if a specific "4D BIM Tool" is able or not to do it. I would like to know how Time Schedulers are actually performing their work in a 4D BIM Environment.

Thanks

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Antonio,

You are highlighting my fundamental point - Asta Powerproject is a "Time Scheduling Tool", which can now also be used as a "BIM 4D software".  So you can now for the first time combine all the functions of a robust planning software product with BIM models.

Ben

António Faria

António Faria

Hi Ben,

Sorry to leave Asta Powerporject out of the examples given...

I know that BIM 4D software allows to update the 4D Project, but my question is: this is what actually is done by the Time Schedulers in the construction world?

Because as far I understood, the BIM 4D software doesn't have all the functionalities of the Time Schedule Tools (CPM, longest path, total/free float, etc...).

Thanks 

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Antonio,

There is another way...  Use Asta Powerproject BIM to produce your 4D project.  You can use all the power of Asta's scheduling tool, combined with the reference to the 3D model.  As you continue to update your schedule in Asta Powerproject, such as marking up progress and rescheduling, your 4D view naturally inherits these changes.

Ben @ Asta