Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Formula to display the duration including holidays

3 replies [Last post]
Andrew Owenson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 1 day ago. Offline
Groups: None

My duration column will display the duration of the task excluding holidays. What I need is to display the duration including any holidays in the programme. so if it ran over a bank holiday, the duration would be 5 +1, if that makes sense. In excel I would use Networkdays & not add the holidays.

Regards Andrew

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 32 min ago. Offline

It is not unusual for CPM Schedules to have multiple calendars. Shift Work Weeks and Odd Work Weeks (when work hours per day are not all the same) although rare, do happen. In some cases, it might be that contract restrict work hours to be at different hour on different days, I have seen such restrictions in hospital works. Other times some resources work on alternate weeks such as work at offshore platforms. The need for multiple calendars is real, not accounting for multiple calendars when they happen can(will) yield unfeasible schedules.

Because displaying Duration Days only can be misleading many schedulers also display hours. I like to keep a layout that display Duration Days, Duration Hours as well as Duration Work Days, none of which require complex formulas.

Sometimes a layout showing bars detailed by hours is convenient as it will catch any calendar exception.

Looking only at days is not good enough.

Shifts-and-Odd-Weeks

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 32 min ago. Offline

Using Spider Project we just use a Date Function to create the desired formula.

Duration-by-calendar

I agree with Paul, the whole point of adding holidays is that it excludes it from calculations as we are usually only interested in how many WORKING days there are in an activity.

Because working with formula can be time consuming when the focus is on a few activities creating a hammock can be a good option as you can toggle the hammock calendar and investigate the duration changes.

Also, if your software does not support such a formula then the hammock can still give you what you want.

If you want to investigate impact of lag calendars using a similar approach just create your hammocks linked to predecessor and successor and toggle the calendar.

I suggest doing what-if using a separate project file.

Best Regards, Rafael

Paul Woodley
User offline. Last seen 9 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I don't think there is a way round this, the whole point of adding holidays is that it excludes it from claculations as we are usualoly only interested in how many WORKING days there are in an activity. The only workaround I can think of is to use a 7d calendar, however this will also show w/ends which I am assuming you don't want - otherwise you would likely have already done this!