Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Earned Value

11 replies [Last post]
Christine P
User offline. Last seen 9 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all

I've been asked to put amounts of money against various activities so the QSs can do earned Value Analysis.  At first I just used a user defined column and dropped them in like that, but the commercial manager wants me to put them in properly so that they can work out money each month.  Like say there is £10,000 against a 5 week activity, and it is from the last 2 weeks in May and the first three weeks in September, then its £4,000 for May and £6,000 for September.  There is no one around to help me and its quite urgent.

Ive tried both the "Projected Cost" column and the "Budget Cost of Work Scheduled" columns as a guess, but neither will allow me to type the amount of money for each activity. 

Im clueless :'(

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi Christine

In my experience Asta Support is only to pleased to help on the most trivial problems - use the email to send your query and they are usually back in under 2 hours.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Christine P

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your help again.

I've baselined my programme, so now, when the QS gives me his actual figures, I can put them in a separate column and this should show a planned vs actual S-curve (or regular up and down monthly histogram).  I just need to figure out which column, if I can't.... I may be back!  But, I think I'm ok now!

Ben - I was going to call Asta after I had exhausted all possibilities (like the guys at work and the good folk of PP) as our senior planner said Asta don't like us calling the helpline, "as the helpline is for technical queries and Asta would rather you try the help files".  I did look through the help files but they're a little overwhelming when you're not even sure of what you are looking for!  But, as well as looking here,  I looked back to the help files and things have fallen into place.  I did go through the tutorials step by step many moons ago which is great if you have spare time to spend more than ten minutes here and there which I really don't have!  A course would be good, but its whether the company wants to spend the money on a course that may only be useful for this project, Ive no idea if this is just satiating client demands or if the company want to start using Astas features on cost throughout all the projects....

Anyway, y'all don't need my lifestory.  Thanks again.

Ben Taunt
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Christine,

In the graph properties, make sure you have "include in data-grid" ticked:

histo_1_small.jpg

Then in sTh

Then in Format Histrogram, make sure you have "Data-grid" ticked once more:

histo_2_small.jpg

If all goes well, you'll have the numbers in the time-slices as per the graphs in the pictures.  If all doesn't go well - why not give our support team a call and ask them to help you out..?

Best wishes,

Ben @ Asta

Mike Testro

Hi Christine

Certainly not clueless - there is no such thing as a stupid question.

If I don't know something I ask someone who does - sometimes I get stupid answers but that is because I have not asked the right question.

The Histogram output in Asta is not so subtle as Excell.

You can export all the data to excell from the histogram report and play with it as you wish.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Christine P

Hi, Its me again....

I got the cost centre worked out ok, got a histogram at the bottom - think I got that bit sussed!

Sent it off to the relevant person and they asked "is there any way that the totals at the end of each month can be tabulated either above or below the graph on the last page "

So, Ive managed to suss out the "slicing" and I picked "elapsed months" with Bar maximum.  It sure looks like the bars on the histogram are totalling up each month.  However, is there a way to get the actual Numbers above each column on the Histogram?  Like you can in excel, when you make a graph you can go to "data labels" and pick "values"

I cant find a way to do this on Asta. 

Christine P

Hi, Its me again....

I got the cost centre worked out ok, got a histogram at the bottom - think I got that bit sussed!

Sent it off to the relevant person and they asked "is there any way that the totals at the end of each month can be tabulated either above or below the graph on the last page "

I wouldn't even know where / what to look for, for this, in Asta? 

Christine P

Mike,

Thank you so much, once again - i think i got it.

Mike Testro

Hi Christine

I think I said to set up the cost heads in the similar manner of your resource allocations.

Not necessarily for each resource.

So you set up a general cost head in Library Explorer and add the required amount to each task - typing into the column.

If you have the required cost list on a spreadsheet you can copy paste direct into the column - but make sure the lists are in the same order.

Front loading is a common practice to generate more income at the beginning of the work to ease the cash flow.

Most employers are wise to it so their QS will reduce the applications accordingly.

My advice is keep it level throughout.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Christine P

Thanks both!

In the meantime, I found a "Cost" column where I put the amounts in and unlike my "User Defined" column, at least this added up the totals on the summary bars.  Will this column do what I want it to?  Or do I have to assign costs as Mike said?

All I've been given is an amount for the activity. So for example:  "Tile bathrooms" - 2w - £33,561 

So, if I understood this right, I need to set up the cost centre like my resources.   So make a cost centre for "Tiler" and their cost is £16780.50 a week based on the above?  That makes sense... so long, I guess as all tiling throughout the job is £16780.50 a week.  What if parts of the job cost more than that - £20,000 a week for some reason?   Would I need to set up "Tiler (cheap)" and "Tiler (pricey)" etc

I know another chap I spoke to on Monday, said the QSs "front load" the payments - I understood this explanation to be something like - with a £10k activity, over 5 weeks, it wouldnt be £2,000 a week.  It would be £3,000 for 2 weeks, £2000 for a week and £1000 for the last weeks (figures totally made up - just illustrating a point).  Is this something PP can reflect or am I digging myself in too deep now?

Thanks

MOHAMED KYASUDEEN...
User offline. Last seen 7 years 21 weeks ago. Offline

HI Chiristine,

You can  assigning in Expenses....

Mike Testro

Hi Christine

You need to set up a series of cost heads using Library Explorer - the same way that you set up resource heads.

Then you drag and drop the required cost onto the task bar.

Some costs that cover several tasks - such as tower crane can be allocated to a summary bar or a hammock.

Alternatively you can add costs to individual resources.

The histogram will generate an S curve on both planned and achieved costs.

You can tell your QS from me that cost is not the most accurate item for measuring EVA - resource man hours will provide a more accurate rresult.

Best regards

Mike Testro