Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress Reporting in PowerProject.

9 replies [Last post]
Tom Howard
User offline. Last seen 8 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Have just converted from P3 to PowerProject v.8 and am struggling to enter and present progress. PowerProject seems to have a direct link between Actual Start / End and Percentage Complate. I dont understand the reasoning behind this, as clearly an activity can take longer or shorter than originally intended, and just because a 10 day activity STARTED 5 days before the report, does not necessarily mean 50% of the work is completed. However, this is the assumption the software makes.

sorry to be vague, but I’m hoping someone out there understands me !

Replies

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
I must stop trying to format my posts and just write in straight text:

http://www.astadev.com/news/events/nuf06/presos/ManagingProgress_S-curves.ppt.
Tom Howard
its just doubled up on http://www.planningplanet.com...
Tom Howard
seems to be a dead link David...
David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
Tom and all...

You might like to look at my post in S-Curve Message which relates to a presentation by Richard Ormerod that might give you some answers.

Regards

David

[I fixed your link - you used single quotes instead of the required double quotes. Moderator]
Tom Howard
...and I also UNTICK "split progressed sections" as the result from this is often misrepresentative of actual events, and in Tools, Options, Edit, Tasks, "When editing start or end in a spreadsheet", I select move task, as PowerProject has a uncomfortable fetish for changing the duration of tasks. (This is also the reason Actual Starts have to be entered in the Start column - PP will elongate the task from the actual start date to the current end date).
Tom Howard
I seem to have sorted it now - Although I am yet to fully put it to the test "in the field", where yet another glitch will probably be discovered.

Basically I have set up the following columns in my "Progress" view. (from L to R)

Activity Title, Duration, Percent Complete, Planned Percent Complete, Start, End, Actual Start, Actual End

I’ve baselined the sample project and made the baseline visible.

I’ve checked the following are set to the CURRENT progress date:

In the Planned Percent complete column, Attributes, the Progress Period is set to CURRENT period.

Tools, Options, Progress tab, Progress Entry tab is set to CURRENT period.

I changed the reschedule option "Straighten line to progress period" to the appropriate date, and also ensured the progress line is visible in "Format Bar Chart, Progress". I also ensured the “relink around completed tasks” option is ticked. Otherwise, you face a situation where ALL forward facing logic must be entered for EVERY activity, for a reschedule to make any sense.

Then for progress entry, I enter the ACTUAL START DATE in the START date column (NOT the Actual Start column as any right thinking individual would naturally assume!!&^%$%&^^)

If complete, I enter 100% in the Percent Complete column (NOT a date in the Actual End column, again as any normal, "doesnt have 2 pencils up his nose whilst banging his head on the padded cell walls" Planner may believe)

Once the 100% has been applied to the task, then and only then, do I change the automatic date in the Actual End column to represent the REAL situation on site. ie either earlier or later than the date unhelpfully "assumed" by PowerProject.

If NOT complete, I simply enter the appropriate %age value in the Percent Complete column.

This may all be common sense to some people who are reading this thinking I sound like I’ve just re-invented the wheel, however it’s taken me several painstaking weeks and many (useless) phone calls to Asta to sort it out. The finished result is that (I think) I have a progress reporting tool that functions the same as my beloved P3, and reports as built data, current %ages, and future predicted outcomes.

Thanks for the tips
Andrew Pearce
User offline. Last seen 1 year 15 weeks ago. Offline
I believe this issue is resolved in version 9.
Actual starts can be entered, and there is a new % complete field that is not linked to remaining duration.
Mike Duce
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Tom,

You can mark each activity with actual % complete.

i.e. in your example if you record 25% after 5 days against the 10 day activity. It will show a delay of 2.5 days.

You can also add columns to display & input progress. Add blank columns and try these tokens.
earned value / planned percent complete
progress / percent complete

Hope this is some help.