Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Powerproject/Teamplan & EOT/Delay Analysis Work

1 reply [Last post]
Roger Gibson
User offline. Last seen 6 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
I am interested to hear about the experiences of anyone who has used Asta Powerproject/Teamplan for Extension of Time submissions or Delay Analysis.

In particular, if the submissions & analysis used ’Time Impact Analysis’ mthodology or other methodologies, such as ’As Planned Impacted’ & ’Collapsed As-Built’.

My experience of using Powerproject/Teamplan for EOT/Delay Analysis work has been not very good and I would normally transfer the project data and logic into other database-driven software packages such as P3 or Artemis before using any of the above Delay Analysis techniques.

Have I missed some of the values of Powerproject/Teamplan in that it can be used for EOT/Delay analysis work?

Replies

David Bordoli
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
Roger

I, and my colleagues at Buro Four, have first-hand experience of using Powerproject on a number appointments for the analysis and production of Extension of Time submissions and Delay Analysis. I first started using Pertmaster in Expert Witness appointments in about 1989 and, if my memory serves me correctly, have used Powerproject from about 1991.

My experience is that many others in the forensic community use also Powerproject. In particular if it was the software that the project programmes were contemporaneously produced upon. As you are probably aware Powerproject appears to be the most popular software in the UK Construction Industry so it makes sense to me at least to continue using it for further analysis. Whilst to some extent there is some interchangability, import/export, between software packages there is also an associated risk of errors and inaccuracies creeping in.

In September 1994 I completed research into Delay Analysis Methods (The Simulation of Construction Project Delays, available on loan from the CIOB library). That research, in addition to illustrating the techniques you describe, also included a survey of software usage in the UK Construction Industry (specifically in connection with delay analysis). A case study/example is also included which utilised Powerproject.

It may also be worthy of note that Keith Pickavance now includes Powerproject/Teamplan as demonstration software in his master classes.

Regards

David
dbordoli@burofour.co.uk

Visit Buro Four on the web