Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

"Book" ABOUT the role of Planning in the UK E&C Industry

8 replies [Last post]
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 4 days 5 hours ago. Offline

Having recently retired from the industry after 50 years service I put together a "book" on the ROLE of planning within the UK Engineering & Construction Industry. I thought one or two other people might want to enjoy and pass comment so if you want a copy post me.

IT IS NOT A HOW TO PLAN BOOK. THEY EXIST IN THEIR THOUSANDS. 

IT IS NOT A HOW TO USE THE SOFTWARE BOOK. THEY EXIST AS MANUALS

But it tries to highlight topics such as

Industry - UK size, profitability, clients

Company - Group Policies, Departments, Standards, Associations, Company Software, company failures, types of planning

Planning Department - Role, responsibilities, on-boarding, qualifications, salary, contract of employment, planning manuals, planning procedures, personnel support

Project Planning - Role, Documentation, Manuals, Procedures, Instructions, different Schedule Requirements, Schedule Topics

Project Techniques - PM Methodologies, Improvement Practices, Project Techniques that Interfaces with Planning which you should know about

Planning - A few thoughts on where we are going, personal contracts, getting paid, project failures, planners working week

Resource planning for D&E, Procurement, Construction, Commissioning

Starting and finishing a project well and not so well and utter disaster

Delay Claims - what you have to do to give the "experts" a fighting chance of success long after you've left

As I say it's not a manual, textbook or expert testimony just the ramblings of somebody who been there and got the scars with little reward.

Peter

Replies

Peter Holroyd

Hi all,

As I have formally retired I've updated my "Book" for year end 2022 with a few additional thoughts on project planning subjects which have caught my attention in 2022 - AI, Debt Management, Project Success / Failure Criteria, Improve profits_Eliminate Waste, Claims Industry Review, Frequency of Extreme Events etc

Quote from Peter Drucker

"What gets measured gets managed......... even when its pointless to measure and manage it, and even if it harms the purpose of the organisation to do so.

Drop me an email if you would like a copy

Keep on Planning

Peter

Peter Holroyd
Do you have email address?
Peter Holroyd

David,

I'll send you a copy - "book" has very little to do with software (especially P3 or is it P6) but tries to cover planning on projects

Peter

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 14 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

david@bicster.uk

I am 50 years in the business too.

I am about 20% through putting all of my Primavera knowledge on line

www.p6david.uk  Still quite incomplete....

Peter Holroyd

Hi, 

I have updated my "book" about planning to include Client topics so that the whole EPC process to operations is included.

If you want a copy to comment on please send me an email address!

Regards

Peter

Peter Holroyd
Email address please
Peter Holroyd

email address?

Praves Suppa
User offline. Last seen 1 year 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Peter,

I feel interested to get your priceless memory.. please share me for this copy.  Thank you Peter.

Best Regards,

Praves