Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS: at which level should I put the E-P-C

3 replies [Last post]
dewa kutu
User offline. Last seen 11 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello guys,

I'm currently developing the WBS concept, and generally the project has this EPC (Engineering Procurement and Construction) components under it's WBS. My question is at which level should I put the E-P-C ?

following are 2 options that I'm considering

Option 1 (put it on lvl 1)

lvl 0: Power plant
lvl 1: Engineering, Procurement, Construction

Lvl 2: E - basic engineering, detail engineering 

P - transportation type

C - Boiler, Turbine, Generator, BOP

Lvl 3: Boiler - civil, mechanical, electrical works

Option 2 (put it on the lowest level)

lvl 0: Power plant

lvl 1: Boiler, Turbine, Generator, BOP

Lvl 2: Boiler - Civil, Mechanical, Electrical works

lvl 3: Civil works - Engineering, Procurement, Construction

My concern with option 1 is that, you could only track the overall Construction progress. If you were asked to track Construction progress for Boiler, you definitely need option 2, am I right ?

So my point is, it seems like option 1 gives you a more high level control over the project while option 2, by putting EPC at the lowest level , you could track the E or P or C progress for each part of the power plant.

Please enlighten me...........  any thought/ ideas/ comments are welcome

Thank you in advanced.

Replies

Jean-Yves Moine
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dewa,

If phases are level 1, it is a phases oriented schedule. If main Products are in level 1, it is a Product oriented schedule.

But as say Daniel, with codification, you can turn the schedule in one click, so you can have the two visions of your schedule.

I think, you can cut the project in subprojects (different files), by phases if there will be one planning engineer for the construction phase, or by main Product if each entity does its schedule. So, the level 1 of the schedule, or the way to cut the project in subprojects, depends of the organization.

BR, JYM

http://3d-wbs.blogspot.fr/

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dewa,

You can actually do both by using Activity Codes, You can use WBS for your Option 1, and Activity Codes for option 2 Structure or you can have a sub level (option 2) under Engineeriing, Procurement and Construction.

Regards,

Daniel