Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

6 Sigma x Project Management

1 reply [Last post]
Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Dear all,

Do u know think if it is possible to integrate 6 sigma concepts in a project management methodology?

Regards.

Marcio Eduardo
Brazil

Replies

Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Marcio

I guess you can adapt 6σ for PM purposes, I’m more inclined to think that it would be used for defining, reviewing and improving processes using statistical analysis rather than delivering a project.

It depends how mature your PM processes are and whether you think they need improving. I’ve previously gone down the CMMI route, but that may not fit in with your core business either.

On the management side using a DMAICR (Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, Control, Realise) methodology to run a project is pretty much redundant if you use PRINCE2/PMBOK or any of the other major PM approach as they’re already proven to work. (depending on who you talk to of course)

6σ is definitely not something you can implement on your own, it has to be across the whole of the business.

Regards,

Darren